About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Does Biochemistry Reinforce General Chemistry Concepts?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by JESSFALLING, Apr 16, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. JESSFALLING

JESSFALLING

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi Everyone,

I haven't taken Biochem yet, so I guess I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I am wondering if it will serve as a refresher for general chemistry? And, if so, wouldn't it also help on the PS section of the MCAT, in addition to the BS section?

Thanks!
  2. FrkyBgStok

FrkyBgStok DMU c/o 2016

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    not really. maybe a little when dealing with zwitter ions, pH stuff, ionization of amino acids and crap. it is more of a fusion of biology and ochem. there definitely is some gen chem, but it probably won't serve as a refresher. Definitely not enough gen chem to help with the mcat.
  3. JESSFALLING

JESSFALLING

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks! It sounds like it's worth taking. I'll have to just review my gen chem independently, though.
  4. FrkyBgStok

FrkyBgStok DMU c/o 2016

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    My biochem (as I am sure most biochems) had a couple lectures of gen chem review. Basically like ochem where they go through everything you need to know from previous classes to get it fresh in your mind. you probably should be OK. for example, I had completely forgotten about ICE tables and I struggled with the pH on day 2, went home, watch khanacademy and ended up with one of the highest As. You can review but I wouldn't get too crazy.
  5. Tatiana3325

Tatiana3325 Removed

Pre-Medical
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. scarshapedstar

scarshapedstar MD c/o 2016

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey, I liked P. chem. :highfive: