Does delaying your interview by 2 weeks make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g4m3r2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I understand that it's better to interview as early as possible, but taking time off work can be challenging. So my question is would delaying your interview date by 2 weeks or so make a big difference in terms of one's likelihood of getting into medical school? This is Stony Brook if that changes anything.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that it's better to interview as early as possible, but taking time off work can be challenging. So my question is would delaying your interview date by 2 weeks or so make a big difference in terms of one's likelihood of getting into medical school? This is Stony Brook if that changes anything.
It depends on when the admissions committee meets relative to the two dates. If both your dates are before the (eg) monthly meeting, assuming there's enough time for interview feedback to be submitted, it wouldn't make a difference. If the rescheduled interview meant that your file would be considered a month later, then your chances would be somewhat diminished, as fewer seats remain to be offered.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on when the admissions committee meets relative to the two dates. If both your dates are before the (eg) monthly meeting, assuming there's enough time for interview feedback to be submitted, it wouldn't make a difference. If the rescheduled interview meant that your file would be considered a month later, then your chances would be somewhat diminished, as fewer seats remain to be offered.

Aw man so that means those offered interviews in July/August have a better chance of acceptance than those with interviews in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec, right? I imagine this sort of disadvantages the people who are complete later due to a committee letter too since one can't be offered an interview until that letter is in...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat...I had to pick a date 4 weeks later than the earliest available because of work.

1) so that means those offered interviews in July/August have a better chance of acceptance than those with interviews in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec, right?

2) I imagine this sort of disadvantages the people who are complete later due to a committee letter too since one can't be offered an interview until that letter is in...:(
1) Many schools "cherry pick" their most competitive applicants early in the cycle, and they do have a higher chance of acceptance. But they tend to get multiple acceptances and can only ultimately pick one of them, which re-levels the playing field later in the cycle.

2) Some feeder schools regularly provide "late" committee letters; some med schools work around the issue. It isn't necessarily true that your packet won't be considered (or that interviews won't be offered) until all LORs are in, but, certainly, they will be be added into the equation eventually.

Last edited: