Does Diversity of Externship Locations Matter (OMFS)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carabelliscusp

Reaction score
I go to a school in the NE. I did an externship at my home program, and with the way my schedule is structured, I basically have the opportunity for 4 other externship weeks. I plan on doing one at Parkland. Does it matter where I do the other 3? I was thinking of doing 2 more in my immediate area and then maybe one somewhere farther away. That would give me 1 week home, 2 weeks local, 2 weeks far away total.

Also, can I wait until after doing all externships to submit apps (mid-August)?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try and do as many possible in places far away from your home institution. Every program knows you are willing to stay close to where you went to dental school but you need to prove to programs that you are willing to go to different place. If you are in the NE I would go to the west coast, the South, and the Midwest if you really are serious about leaving the NE. This is what an attending told me and I am glad I did it that way.

Reactions: 1 user
If you schedule your externships a few months in advance, then you can submit your app and put on your CV externship at X program (anticipated dates). I did it this way to submit early and had no issues.

Reactions: 1 users