Does doing well in a class that had a prereq in a class you didn't do so well in help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zigzagalkel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, say someone got a B in Organic Chemistry or Genetics....

but then they make an A in Genomics, Biochemistry, etc. and show this behavior for a very long string of classes that all had initial prerequisites in X course that the student did not have such a strong performance on....

I know numerically, it doesn't change the "B", but does it at least restore "dignity" and show admissions, "Hey, this guy might've slipped, but he picked himself back up at points 1,2,3,etc."?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a B is not "slipping." Obviously a long string of As is a good thing, but it wouldn't be making up for anything, since there's nothing to make up for.

Getting a B is not "slipping." Obviously a long string of As is a good thing, but it wouldn't be making up for anything, since there's nothing to make up for.

Well, assuming I want to apply to these schools:

UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas A&M HSC
University of Texas at Austin
Texas Tech University
Georgetown
Brown
Cornell
Dartmouth
Mayo Clinic
Stanford

Texas resident, raised here for the past 14 years, current GPA: 3.87, MCAT 37
3 years of research, ~150 hours of volunteering, able to get good ECs

How many more B's are tolerable if I want a legitimate healthy shot at the majority of the schools I've chosen?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't give you a definitive answer, because I don't think there is one. You're looking at this in the wrong way. Getting a high GPA is a way to show programs that you can handle the rigor of medical and graduate school. Your GPA and MCAT score demonstrate that. No one is going to look down on a 3.87-37 because of a few Bs.

If you want anecdotes, I have similar academic numbers (with several Bs) and less research experience than you will graduate with, and I interviewed at one of the schools on your list. You should be fine.