Technology Does epocrates load up quickly on iphone/ipod touch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys. I've been using a Palm Treo 755 for the past 2 years. Though I'm relatively happy with it, the one thing that has frustrated me is how long it takes to load up epocrates. Once its already running epocrates is solid, but it takes seemingly forever to start up from the main menu (anywhere from 12-30 seconds). I sort of get around this problem by leaving my phone in sleep mode with epocrates already loaded ahead of time. But I also use the treo to jot down notes, adjust my schedule... not to mention take phone calls every now and then. So I can't really leave epocrates up forever.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting the iPod Touch so I have a separate device for all my hospital stuff. I also like that the touch version of epocrates actually shows images of the drugs (which is helpful for the occasional patient that can't remember what their drugs were called... but know every detail about colors/inscriptions on the pill itself).

So for those of you guys that have iphones/ipod touch... does epocrates load up relatively quick?

Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't find the iPhone version of Epocrates especially fast. It takes right at 10 seconds before it is ready to accept input, ie. a drug name, from the virtual keyboard. I have seen videos of the new iPhone 3Gs coming out this week and it seems about 50% faster loading the native applications. The iPhone Touch is probably a little faster than the iPhone 3G.

It runs adequately. Epocrates continues to add features to their suite of software, so it's actually relatively slow on other platforms as well. However, once it's up and running, then you can do things quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
The processing power of the new iPhone should help in that department. The iPod Touch should run it faster than the old iPhone 3G since it has more processing power.

I don't find the iPhone version of Epocrates especially fast. It takes right at 10 seconds before it is ready to accept input, ie. a drug name, from the virtual keyboard. I have seen videos of the new iPhone 3Gs coming out this week and it seems about 50% faster loading the native applications. The iPhone Touch is probably a little faster than the iPhone 3G.
It runs adequately. Epocrates continues to add features to their suite of software, so it's actually relatively slow on other platforms as well. However, once it's up and running, then you can do things quickly.
Can you leave epocrates on all the time (like Palm pilots) and just have the iphone/touch enter sleep mode? Or do you always have to go to the main menu prior to switching the iphone/touch off (and similarly, does it automatically go to the main menu whenever you turn the iphone/touch on)?

If you have Epocrates loaded and turn off the iPhone via the power button on the top, it will turn on with the same button in Epocrates in just a few seconds.

You can not on the current models, but I think the new gen allow SOME things to run in the background, haven't heard about epocrates.

I just tried it out for you, it took me 5-6 seconds to load from my main menu. Hope that helps (I use 3G)

yeah, this is always an option but if you get any calls it goes away.

I don't think this is true anymore after the 3.0 software came out. One of the hidden features is that after you hang up a call, it goes back to the app you had open.

I just wanted to say that essentials loads very quickly on my 3G S.

Last edited:
Epocrates was painfully slow to start up on the iPhone 3G. On the iPhone 3GS it is nearly instant. It is much more usable now.

Agreed...I don't notice more then a split second difference b/w my new 3GS and my old Palm TX (which was basically instantaneous)

I tried both Epocrates and Skyscape. The installation of epocrates was terrible, however, Skyscape installed smoothly in few seconds. Once the Skyscape was installed, I was able to access it in my hospital where there is no wi-fi. Cheers Skyscape!:thumbup:

Really? I had absolutely no trouble whatsoever installing or using ePocrates. I much prefer ePocrates over Skyscape. Skyscape is too expensive and not worth the money IMO.

I tried both Epocrates and Skyscape. The installation of epocrates was terrible, however, Skyscape installed smoothly in few seconds. Once the Skyscape was installed, I was able to access it in my hospital where there is no wi-fi. Cheers Skyscape!:thumbup:
You don't need wi-fi for epocrates either.