Does it count as a science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantPanda1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding 2 science LORs from DIFFERENT science departments. For example, Albert Einstein wants this. Does computer science or math count for a science LOR? I know that math is part of BCPM but computer "science" does not. What about a PI LOR for science if it's for independent study where it is for credit and counts towards my science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think the PI LOR would count

I'm having trouble finding 2 science LORs from DIFFERENT science departments. For example, Albert Einstein wants this. Does computer science or math count for a science LOR? I know that math is part of BCPM but computer "science" does not. What about a PI LOR for science if it's for independent study where it is for credit and counts towards my science GPA?

Math would be a science LOR for MD schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I used letters from engineering professors who taught "science" classes, such as thermodynamics and heat transfer. I did have to clarify this at one school but once I did they were chill. I feel that CS falls under a similar category.

Some schools are picky from what Ive heard, namely NYMC and Albert Eisenstein.

Your making the equivalency of what is calculated for BCPM for AMCAS is a) only acceptable science and b) accepted universally by all medical schools. Since LORs are defined by each school, that would be a false equivalency. It would be impossible to discern the strictness and perception by each adcom on this issue

As for the OP's question, Einstein's requirement is "the second letter should be from a member of a science department different from the reference who is writing the first letter." First, use references from the two professors who know you best and will write you the strongest letters, even of the same department. This will be of more value than a strict interpretation of the rule. Second, Computer Science or as the Engineering suggestion above would work. Engineering of all types would be likely viewed favorably by an adcom as well as Computer Science. In others words, dont get so focused on the strict literal fulfillment of the listed requirement to the detriment of the quality

I did not make that the only acceptable science. I simply stated it would be a science. Which is correct. BCPM count as science for ALL MD schools. I did not comment on computer science or Engineering because I am not sure. But math.. I am sure. Just as anatomy counts as science, so does math.

Your making the equivalency of what is calculated for BCPM for AMCAS is a) only acceptable science and b) accepted universally by all medical schools. Since LORs are defined by each school, that would be a false equivalency. It would be impossible to discern the strictness and perception by each adcom on this issue

As for the OP's question, Einstein's requirement is "the second letter should be from a member of a science department different from the reference who is writing the first letter." First, use references from the two professors who know you best and will write you the strongest letters, even of the same department. This will be of more value than a strict interpretation of the rule. Second, Computer Science or as the Engineering suggestion above would work. Engineering of all types would be likely viewed favorably by an adcom as well as Computer Science. In others words, dont get so focused on the strict literal fulfillment of the listed requirement to the detriment of the quality

Quality over possibly loose requirements, got it. I think I should be fine, hopefully... Thank you for all the advice everyone!

Agree to disagree I guess. If they count the class in your "science" gpa then it's likely to be counted as a "science" letter.

Actually my point was while math is science for AMCAS GPA, it is much less likely to be as science for LOR across a sizable fraction of adcoms.

To go off this computer science clearly is not in the BCPM GPA calculation. I would definitely call a school to make sure they accept a computer science teacher as a science professor letter, as @gonnif has stated there's a chance you could run into problems with that.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

Call the school tomorrow.
Ask.
They will tell you if it counts.
The end.

They get these calls all the time, and are surprisingly nice about answering them. (I imagine it's a much easier question to answer than some that they get)