Does it harm your application if you've been involved with research but are not published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tachybrady

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a general question. Don't know if it will apply to me yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Anecdotal, but I've even had an interviewing adcom physician tell me that she didn't care that much about publications, but more about whether or not your research was paid, as that typically requires you to hold a degree of responsibility and accountability.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotal, but I've even had an interviewing adcom physician tell me that she didn't care that much about publications, but more about whether or not your research was paid, as that typically requires you to hold a degree of responsibility and accountability.
Hmm. That's interesting... though I would argue that a thorough understanding of research and the scientific process (it's perhaps more obvious that you have learned enough to be a competent researcher and critical thinker if you have been to conferences and published papers) is a far more important takeaway from a research project than responsibility and accountability. There are other application materials (LORs, extended volunteer experience, work experience, etc.) that can better reflect responsibility and accountability.

I had both paid and unpaid RAs working in my lab when I was in research and found that the motivated volunteers usually far outperformed the paid workers. Of course the paid workers outperformed the unmotivated volunteers, so your mileage may vary.

Having something to say about the research, knowing what you were doing, why you did it, etc., being able to enthusiastically convey the spirit of your project is much more important than having a publication. Somebody could come on at the end of a project, do a little work, and if the PI is nice, he/she might list that person as a third, fourth author, etc. But it means nothing when interviews/essays come around and you have nothing to say about the project except "I ran PCRs day and night but I don't know why I ran them."

I was told having experience in research is a plus whether it's published or not.

Reactions: 1 user