Does it matter if you fail an EM Cert module?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHoliday84

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what happens if you fail an EM Cert module. Do they just let you try it again? Or you can try again but have to pay another fee? The test is open book, so I wan't thinking of preparing or buying any prep course.

Members don't see this ad.

Module Feedback​

After completing a module, you will get a pass/fail outcome immediately.

• ABEM uses standard setting (a psychometric process) to determine your outcome (pass or fail).
  • The process involves a panel of clinically active physicians from within the Emergency Medicine community that is convened and, using a modified-Angoff method, determines a cut score that, in turn, determines what constitutes a pass/fail for each MyEMCert module.
  • Standard setting helps determine the proficiency expected for an ABEM-certified physician to pass a MyEMCert module and recommends this standard to the ABEM Board.
  • Once determined, this pass/fail standard is then compared to a physician’s performance on a module. If the physician meets that standard, she or he passes; there is no curve.
  • Different passing scores reflect differences in the standard for each module. A more difficult module
If your first attempt to pass is unsuccessful, you can immediately retake a different version of that module.

Registering for a MyEMCert module allows you three attempts to take and pass a module topic.

Three versions of each module will be available in any given year. If you have not successfully completed a module after your third attempt, you will need to wait until the following year for a new version to become available.

I just recerted and took them all cold with UptoDate and yes, occasional Wikipedia use. Each module took one attempt and an hour or less.

Reactions: 1 user