does it matter if you get your academic reference from a community college prof?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjb924

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't take many science courses while earning my bachelors degree, so I was thinking of asking my A&P teacher for an academic reference for PT school (she's also the chair of the bio dept at my CC). Does anyone think this would make a difference between asking her a prof at a University? Did people who got in get any recommendations from CC profs? I know I'm probably just over thinking all this but I realllyyyy want to get in :xf: thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just thinking about it now, it SHOULD NOT matter.

If you look in PTCAS for the # of references and by type or reference for the schools you want to apply to, it will list if you need one from just a professor, or a professor from your major.

Now, look at this....if I was an English major, I wouldve had to ask for a reference from within the major for some schools which I dont think is important to get into PT is school (Not dissing anyone). So since you never took a science course from a 4 year college, it would make sense to get them from sciences sources, regardless if it was from a CC or not. So no it shouldn't matter.

you should be fine...I had my CC prof write one too (also A&P professor)...he's an MD and he taught a special course where we did cadaver dissections, so I figured he'd be pretty credible...moreso than my university anatomy professor who barely knew my name, ya know?

I also know people who had their chem I/II CC profs write recommendations and get in...I'd say go for whoever will write you the most personalized and impressive letter of recommendation. A CC professor who you've worked closely with/who knows you well/whose class you did really well in is much better than a university professor where you were one of 100+ students and who gets asked to write a ton of recommendations and probably has a standard letter for them and just changes the names.

I'd just make sure you get some non-CC recommendations if possible...maybe your undergrad academic advisor or someone who knows you well, even if it isn't a science prof.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of my academic references came from profs I had at CC, and I got into several great programs. So, it shouldn't be an issue, but you might want to check with each program's website to see if there are specific requirements for letters of rec just to be certain.

I already have my 4 year degree in Kinesiololgy but I need
Chem, Physics, Biology for the pre-reqs..

Would it be okay if those were taken at a community college?

Aren't community colleges easier ?