Does major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studentofdeen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I am super confused.
I was rejected from a lot of schools. My DAT was 23. My GPA was 3.97. My major is Anthropology with physical science and Asian American Studies along with certification in South East Asian studies. Can someone advice me to ask what happened?

Was covid a factor to why i was rejected from so many schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone I am super confused.
I was rejected from a lot of schools. My DAT was 23. My GPA was 3.97. My major is Anthropology with physical science and Asian American Studies along with certification in South East Asian studies. Can someone advice me to ask what happened?

Was covid a factor to why i was rejected from so many schools?
need more info
when did you apply?
which schools did you apply to?
how many interviews did you do and where?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did....but I am still puzzled as to why I got less interviews compared to the average guy. I was having a debate with fellow friend and we were discussing if me not being a stem major could have been my downfall

Because I spent 3k on applying. So I got less money out of applying to so many schools. I usually advice lots of undergrad so I want to make sure I give the right advice Hence why I'm asking what went wrong with my application or what I should have done to gotten more

Last edited:
But im still happy with attending to Michigan but I would still like to know why schools like UCSF and UCLA rejected me considering I'm instate and high stats. It's bit puzzling. I just need clarification

I applied to 24 schools,
9 interviews,
13 rejections
1 wait list,
2 no responses,
4 acceptances

I was also an early applicant

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hmm a few thoughts:

1. Congrats on getting into Michigan! You will do great.
2. A variety of factors can come into play when you look at someone's application package. Some things to consider would be if there were certain elements with your application that played a part. For example, personal statement, recommendation letters and interviews are all variable factors. For those that did not offer you an interview, it could have been something with your personal statement or rec letters. For schools you did interview with, it could have been your interview or certain answers you gave. Not to say you are not a good applicant or things were wrong with either category but just another perspective.
3. Other posters are right in which schools you applied to and their competitiveness. Say you applied to Texas schools as an OOS applicant then the road was already long to begin with.
4. I don't think it was due to you not being a STEM major. I majored in Health Sciences where the majority of my classes were exercise physiology and kinesiology which is still a science but definitely not your bio, chem or physics major. (I applied and interviewed at the 6 schools I applied to and got into 4). I think as long as you took the prerequisites and did well (which you did) then I don't anticipate your non-stem major being a flaw with your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Major doesn't matter, as long as you take all prerequisites and challenge yourself with upper level stem courses. After most people take those classes, they are just few credits away from a stem major, so they major in it.

No i got it. Thank you all very much. Sorry I was asking in terms if it was stem or not. I advice undergrads and deal with youth so I have been telling them to do a major that they enjoy so they can perform higher as well look unique but it was a debate among friends where they were saying it was my major. Thanks everyone ! ☺️

you didn't get into ucsf and ucla because those are extremely competitive schools
perhaps it was not something in the numbers, but in your interview or the rest of the app

it was not your major
nor was it covid

Reactions: 2 users
Why did you choose Michigan?

Ite a great school with an amazing community. I was really impressed with the curriculum