Does marrying a URM make me a URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

recoveryexpert

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My bf is URM and I was wondering if marrying him will give me the URM advantage.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

no.

but your kids will be.

you are going to get flamed so hard....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
...don't tell me you'd marry him just to try and get that distinction, because 1. that's ridiculous and 2. you won't get it.

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

rap is 90% of my playlist. URM?

I guess she (he?) got board on the beautiful road to recovery thread...

Members don't see this ad :)
That s so unfair though. Aren't couples supposed to share everything? It so unfair :(

If you mean tangible goods, then yes, most of the time. If you mean race, then no. I cant really tell if you're serious or not.... How can you honestly think that you will be an URM if you marry someone? Under Represented MINORITY. I seriously cant tell if you're serious....

That s so unfair though. Aren't couples supposed to share everything? It so unfair :(

No - couples aren't supposed to share everything!

If you mean tangible goods, then yes, most of the time. If you mean race, then no. I cant really tell if you're serious or not.... How can you honestly think that you will be an URM if you marry someone? Under Represented MINORITY. I seriously cant tell if you're serious....

She is not serious.

Every time I think I've seen it all....

a62e3445-dc4d-4ecf-a1b3-9dc7b2bf97de.jpg

Then why is it that non residents get residency by marrying residents and non URM cannot get URM advantage by marrying URMs? This is messed up

OP, don't you dare listen to these haters. They are ignorant pre-meds and they don't know the minds of adcoms. If they knew what they were talking about they'd be in med school. Here's what I want you to do -

1)Apply for URM status.
2) When questioned about it, tell them, as you've told us, that you are indeed entitled to list URM status due to the above reasons. Please explain in depth, and feel free to throw in that genius line you just posted about residency, which I take to mean citizenship and which is totally the exact same thing as race.

Then, when you get accepted post here and rub it in the faces of all who said it was a bad idea. Bonus points if this thread is more than two years old.

Then why is it that non residents get residency by marrying residents and non URM cannot get URM advantage by marrying URMs? This is messed up

Please seriously stop! Your ignorance is starting to make me angry. How on Gods green earth would you expect to be considered URM if your boyfriend is black or hispanic, or whatever other URM classification there is out there, and you are white? You do realize what they are trying to do by recruiting more URM right? They are trying to create diversity in the hospital. If you are white, and are trying to be classified as black, good luck.

You should bring it up in an interview and let it be known that you are an URM because you married one and see what happens. Really just think about what you are saying. And you keep trying to justify yourself and your reasoning. This is not "messed up". If you are not born as an URM, why would you expect to be classified as one? You expect the status to just be handed over to you because "its not fair"? GOSH SERIOUSLY!! You cant be serious!! Please just stop justifying yourself.

OP, don't you dare listen to these haters. They are ignorant pre-meds and they don't know the minds of adcoms. If they knew what they were talking about they'd be in med school. Here's what I want you to do -

1)Apply for URM status.
2) When questioned about it, tell them, as you've told us, that you are indeed entitled to list URM status due to the above reasons. Please explain in depth, and feel free to throw in that genius line you just posted about residency, which I take to mean citizenship and which is totally the exact same thing as race.

Then, when you get accepted post here and rub it in the faces of all who said it was a bad idea. Bonus points if this thread is more than two years old.

:thumbup:

Best advice I've read on SDN in a while. Good luck OP!

Please seriously stop! Your ignorance is starting to make me angry. How on Gods green earth would you expect to be considered URM if your boyfriend is black or hispanic, or whatever other URM classification there is out there, and you are white? You do realize what they are trying to do by recruiting more URM right? They are trying to create diversity in the hospital. If you are white, and are trying to be classified as black, good luck.

You should bring it up in an interview and let it be known that you are an URM because you married one and see what happens. Really just think about what you are saying. And you keep trying to justify yourself and your reasoning. This is not "messed up". If you are not born as an URM, why would you expect to be classified as one? You expect the status to just be handed over to you because "its not fair"? GOSH SERIOUSLY!! You cant be serious!! Please just stop justifying yourself.

Hater :mad:

Spent the first month of my life in the poor part of the poor part of Philadelphia... then lived a luxurious life in the affluent suburbs outside of the city... should I apply disadvantaged?

1)Apply for URM status.

what the **** are you talking about?

Spent the first month of my life in the poor part of the poor part of Philadelphia... then lived a luxurious life in the affluent suburbs outside of the city... should I apply disadvantaged?

Did you move in with your auntie and your uncle from Bel-Air?

My maid is a URM. Can I apply to Meharry?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I watched all tyler perry movies, watched BET, and listen to jazz and rap, can I apply urm?

1)Apply for URM status.

Sounds like good advice if it is actually possible but..
Not really getting you here.
Can you elaborate a bit? I just don't see how OP can pass it off, if at all.

I believe Sideways stated something that would fit in here quite well...

1)Apply for URM status.

:thumbup: Please, please do this. I will gladly wait two years to hear how this goes.

My bf is URM and I was wondering if marrying him will give me the URM advantage.
Thanks

you're disgusting the way you think.

You're basically thinking that marrying him will give you an advantage in the cycle. You are so dumb...and already shows that you're not worthy

Sounds like good advice if it is actually possible but..
Not really getting you here.
Can you elaborate a bit? I just don't see how OP can pass it off, if at all.

Hey man, don't be jealous because you didn't think of it first. Now stop trying to bring her down. I will not stand for the negativity coming from - scoff - pre-meds, and unjustly directed at a person with a perfectly legitimate, and in addition intelligent, question.

Status
Not open for further replies.