Does mentioning having depression affect getting acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist-dentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance" For this question I mentioned something that I had depression but I didn't really mean being "depressed" like I wasn't ever diagnosed with depression! I was just undergoing some sort phase of sadness for a period of time and I'm over it now! BUT I mentioned at the end that I was able to go over it tho
I already submitted my application, and rn I'm thinking about it and I'm worried that this is gonna play against me rather than help me! since they might think that I really have depression and they probably don't want someone with depression since it it can affect decision making and cognitive ability.
Please guys give me your thoughts I'm kinda worried about this and I feel like it's going to have a negative impact regarding my acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you had a valid reason as to why you were depressed and it affected your grades a lot.... It definitely won't help you but what WILL impact your admission is how you got over it and what you changed (if there was anything to change) to avoid future bouts of depression. They don't want someone who gets frequently depressed, then all the money they've invested in your education in dental school would go to waste if that depression dragged down your grades and might even drag other students down too. But since your application has already been submitted, I don't think there's much you can do from there. It won't be a big deciding factor.

Your application is submitted now, so no point staying over something you can't change. Just think about how you can spin it positively if asked about it in an interview

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your application is submitted now, so no point staying over something you can't change. Just think about how you can spin it positively if asked about it in an interview
I really do hope that I get some interviews and that I get asked about it! I'm worried that mentioning this might not even land me interviews

Unless you had a valid reason as to why you were depressed and it affected your grades a lot.... It definitely won't help you but what WILL impact your admission is how you got over it and what you changed (if there was anything to change) to avoid future bouts of depression. They don't want someone who gets frequently depressed, then all the money they've invested in your education in dental school would go to waste if that depression dragged down your grades and might even drag other students down too. But since your application has already been submitted, I don't think there's much you can do from there. It won't be a big deciding factor.
That section was only 600 characters and I didn't mention how I got over it! I just said that I did. But I believe I did mention a valid reason of why I had bouts of depression!
I called AADSAS and obviously they said that nothing can be fixed now! But they told me that I could call schools and ask them that I wanna change this question and provide them with my new answer. Do you think I should do that or I'm better off leaving it as is!

Last edited:
"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance"

I would call that an artfully worded question to ask about stuff that is illegal to directly ask about in a job interview.

That section was only 600 characters and I didn't mention how I got over it! I just said that I did. But I believe I did mention a valid reason of why I had bouts of depression!
I called AADSAS and obviously they said that nothing can be fixed now! But they told me that I could call schools and ask them that I wanna change this question and provide them with my new answer. Do you think I should do that or I'm better off leaving it as is!
I wouldn't call the school, don't worry about it. If it comes up during an interview it'll be a talking point.

I wouldn't call the school, don't worry about it. If it comes up during an interview it'll be a talking point.
Yeah I also thought it's probably not a good idea to call schools!
Hopefully I get some interviews and I get the chance to clarify for them my situation.
Thank you

"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance" For this question I mentioned something that I had depression but I didn't really mean being "depressed" like I wasn't ever diagnosed with depression! I was just undergoing some sort phase of sadness for a period of time and I'm over it now! BUT I mentioned at the end that I was able to go over it tho
I already submitted my application, and rn I'm thinking about it and I'm worried that this is gonna play against me rather than help me! since they might think that I really have depression and they probably don't want someone with depression since it it can affect decision making and cognitive ability.
Please guys give me your thoughts I'm kinda worried about this and I feel like it's going to have a negative impact regarding my acceptance
I wouldn't worry about it. Just think positively. Everyone gets depressed from time to time and I don't think that mentioning it would cause you to lose out on interviews. From here on out, just start developing answers to questions that might come up regarding this. Again, you didn't say you were "diagnosed" with depression. That's entirely different. Everyone has ups and downs in life and believe me, if you're not experiencing some of those ups and downs, now, dental school will certainly take you there, lol!! Sorry, just being honest. But, really, don't sweat it, keep it moving and bounce back with a good answer and let them know that your setbacks were setups that made you push harder and persevere. Best wishes!

I won't call depression a disqualifier but it might be to the wrong admissions person. Remember at most schools you're going against 3000+ people for 100ish spots, so you don't want to give any extra reasons to push that reject button. It's fairly common to have depression though, I actually think the dental schools might just be upset they won't be the first ones to teach you how to be depressed. Should you answer a question like this in the future, be vague if possible. You want your chance to elaborate an a vague answer to be when they ask you about it after you already have an interview. In the future you should respond to a question like this by saying you had a medical condition that required treatment, or if nothing is documented say you had a family emergency. If they ask you why you were vague blame the 600 character limit. Good luck!

Last edited: