Does my GPA matter that much after I have my acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

power818

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my phone call today that I am accepted to UAB through early decision! I have a 4.0 GPA, and I am wondering how important everyone thinks it is to maintain that. I started a full-time night shift job this summer that I am still working, and I’m wondering if it begins to become a problem if it would even be smart to drop that to keep the GPA. It has only affected me a little thus far, ie. I made an 88 on my first biochem exam. I know that practically it won’t effect me, but some part of me really doesn’t want to let it go. I have a feeling it’s just my ego, and I need to get over it. What do y’all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations! Your GPA is not at all important at this point, provided you don’t bomb any classes. An 88 will not kill you.

Reactions: 3 users
Nah, just don’t tank. Get a B+ average Senior year and coast.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my phone call today that I am accepted to UAB through early decision! I have a 4.0 GPA, and I am wondering how important everyone thinks it is to maintain that. I started a full-time night shift job this summer that I am still working, and I’m wondering if it begins to become a problem if it would even be smart to drop that to keep the GPA. It has only affected me a little thus far, ie. I made an 88 on my first biochem exam. I know that practically it won’t effect me, but some part of me really doesn’t want to let it go. I have a feeling it’s just my ego, and I need to get over it. What do y’all think?
Congratulations! Don't let your grades slide (much), because satisfying your ego is important. Some schools will send you a letter after an acceptance with "Terms" like maintaining a certain GPA or more vaguely, like, maintaining the same academic progress previously displayed. Wait until you know for sure before you 'let it go.'

Reactions: 2 users