Does my score make sense?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsiojota

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible for someone to get a percentile range of 9% if the composite score was was 389 , while someone else got a composite score of 417 and ended up in the 81% percentile range?? This is when the the pcat score was taken in September of 2012. How does this make any sense ??

Members don't see this ad.

Well anything below a scaled score of 400 is not too great. But it is a bit interesting to see that a difference of nearly 30 scaled points in the composite score can bring a 9% composite PR to an 81%.

My SS composite was 421 (I believe) and I got a 91% composite PR; that might give you some insight on how significant a single SS point can affect PR.

I agree, that was the only solution i came up with that would result in such a significant difference. I just would have thought it would be at least in the 30-50% Percent tile range, going down to 9% was a bit shocking.

If I remember correctly, they also take into account how others did on specific questions. So if you get the most difficult questions (all should be similar in difficulty, but not all questions are created equal), your percentile will reflect that.

That being said, if 30 raw points are the difference between ~10% & ~90%, that just indicates that the scores are "clumped" around those numbers. Most people scored in that range.