Does no interviews at this point mean red flag or just not good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioinformaticism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I submitted all of my applications between mid-July and mid-August, and I have yet to receive any interviews. 3.85 GPA, 32 MCAT. Lots of research, clinical experience, leadership, publications, TA positions, etc. I've had 2 rejections that I was expecting because of in-state bias and one phone interview. Some people that I have talked to both in person and online have suggested that this could indicate some kind of "red flag" with my application, like if one of my LOR writers wrote a scathing letter without telling me or if there was something horrifically wrong with my personal statement. However, when I really thought about this, it seemed like if something had gone that wrong with your application, it would warrant a rejection and not a prolonged wait. So, at this point, I'm more inclined to believe that this is more indicative of my application being unremarkable compared to others and they're waiting to see how many people accept their admission? What do you all think?

My school list:

Albany (Nothing)
Drexel (Nothing)
EVMS (Nothing)
Dartmouth (Nothing)
GW (Nothing)
Indiana (Rejection)
Loyola (Nothing)
Mayo ("LOR Request" in August... I've heard that's good? But besides that, nothing.)
MCW (Nothing)
NYMC (Nothing)
Quinnipiac (Nothing)
Rosalind Franklin (Nothing)
Rush (Nothing)
SLU (Nothing)
Southern Illinois (Rejection)
Vermont (Nothing)
UIC (Nothing)
Iowa (Nothing)
Western Michigan (Phone interview, now waiting)

Also, does anyone know if earlier interviews are more "valuable" that later interviews? At this point it looks like if I receive an interview at all it will be in the late spring. So, all else remaining constant, does a person who interviewed in November have a greater chance at getting accepted than a person who interviewed in February?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You got 31 replies in your last post 10 days ago and a bunch on the one you posted on Reddit. What are you hoping to hear that you haven't already?

You may have red flags in essays or LORs but you need to be patient. This is a waiting game and no one on the Internet is going to help you be happy and content with reality more that you can.

Reactions: 8 users
and a bunch on the one you posted on Reddit. What are you hoping to hear that you haven't already?

You may have red flags in essays or LORs but you need to be patient. This is a waiting game and no one on the Internet is going to help you be happy and content with reality more that you can.

#rekt

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't audit your LORs, so all you can do is email the schools that rejected you after the cycle and inquire about this. You had someone look over your personal statement, right? If you're @NotASerialKiller and the other person was competent, they should have picked up any red flags in that.

Your school list is kind of bad, though. Are you a Michigan resident? If so, why did you only apply to one Michigan school?

I count close to a dozen schools you have somewhat of a fair chance at interviewing at with your stats. You haven't been rejected from any of them yet. That's usually good enough to at the bare minimum generate a couple II's. Wait until at least thanksgiving to hit the panic button. If you are getting a phone interview from Western Michigan(who I believe will end up interviewing half the people they phone interview) and made it past at least one stage of Mayo's screening process, I doubt there is some serious red flag that is just crushing your app. The two things that commonly damage peoples chances with very competitive stats are a) lack of volunteering experience b) lack of clinical exposure and experience. Not having either of those could be a cause of potential problems.

If your goal is to start medical school next year, add some DO programs. You will instantly generate tons of interest with them. I will also add like someone said above the schools you by far and away had the best chances with are not ones that you chose to apply to such as Central Michigan, Wayne State, Michigan State and even Oakland. Those are the ones for whom I would expect you to hear back from the earliest, so maybe it's really not all that surprising you still haven't heard back yet from anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
You got 31 replies in your last post 10 days ago and a bunch on the one you posted on Reddit. What are you hoping to hear that you haven't already?

You're right. I need to stop thinking about it. It's out of my hands.

Reactions: 1 users
I count close to a dozen schools you have somewhat of a fair chance at interviewing at with your stats. You haven't been rejected from any of them yet. That's usually good enough to at the bare minimum generate a couple II's. Wait until at least thanksgiving to hit the panic button. If you are getting a phone interview from Western Michigan(who I believe will end up interviewing half the people they phone interview) and made it past at least one stage of Mayo's screening process, I doubt there is some serious red flag that is just crushing your app. The two things that commonly damage peoples chances with very competitive stats are a) lack of volunteering experience b) lack of clinical exposure and experience. Not having either of those could be a cause of potential problems.

If your goal is to start medical school next year, add some DO programs. You will instantly generate tons of interest with them. I will also add like someone said above the schools you by far and away had the best chances with are not ones that you chose to apply to such as Central Michigan, Wayne State, Michigan State and even Oakland. Those are the ones for whom I would expect you to hear back from the earliest, so maybe it's really not all that surprising you still haven't heard back yet from anywhere.

It was my understanding that those schools have a strong preference for in-state applicants...is that not the case?

Members don't see this ad :)
What it means is almost immaterial. There is nothing to be this cycle but look forward and work on a reapplication by being utterly and ruthlessly critical of your current application. If you get in this cycle, then it wont matter. But look forward as there is nothing you can do to impact this current cycle

So you're saying it's time to look at reapplying? In your opinion, should I take the new mcat? Thank you for the advice.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Yes. You're right, I should focus on what I can control. I've just been having a lot of self-doubt and this past month has been a very dark place for me.

Yes. You're right, I should focus on what I can control. I've just been having a lot of self-doubt and this past month has been a very dark place for me.
You aren't alone man. I think you should take a break from SDN and focus on a fun hobby or two! Try to be happy in the moment and with the uncertainty. It's a fight for me too, everyday but it helps.

You aren't alone man. I think you should take a break from SDN and focus on a fun hobby or two! Try to be happy in the moment and with the uncertainty. It's a fight for me too, everyday but it helps.

Are you applying right now as well?

With less that half the applicants who apply to medical school, matriculating, one should always look forward and almost assume a reapplication. Thus in glide year working towards improving your app. If you have a 32 MCAT from 2014, it may be older than 2 years in the 2016 cycle. Thus some schools may not accept it, though that isnt something to tackle just yet. It is looking how the application was written and the school list that matter most

Yes, as the saying goes, "hope for the best, prepare for the worst." It's from October of 2014 so it would be under two years. What I'm asking is, do you think the MCAT is the issue or is there some other deficiency(ies) that I need to identify? Thank you for your help.

I know what you're talking about man. Applying to medical school is humbling when you come in thinking you're a superstar and find out that you're just like everyone else.

I'm fairly similar to you in terms complete date and stats and I finally got my first II today. Your list looks good so I wouldn't panic just yet. They're still coming

I'm not an expert at this, but I've read in multiple places that many interview invites go out in November and December. Stay positive, there's still time!

Reactions: 2 users
I know what you're talking about man. Applying to medical school is humbling when you come in thinking you're a superstar and find out that you're just like everyone else.

Very humbling indeed. I don't think I'm a superstar but I do honestly believe that I put together a good application...nothing to write home about but solid. So needless to say it's very disappointing. Next year I'll apply more broadly, earlier, and make my essays better, I suppose.

I'm fairly similar to you in terms complete date and stats and I finally got my first II today. Your list looks good so I wouldn't panic just yet. They're still coming

That's awesome news. Congratulations, you deserve it!

Your list is fine then. If you want to start med school next year like I said DOs would be good to add and you got a really good one in your backyard in CCOM to start with
I've considered that. However, in the event that I don't get into any, would it be bad if I were a reapplicant at both MD and DO schools (as opposed to just MD schools, as it currently is?)

I've considered that. However, in the event that I don't get into any, would it be bad if I were a reapplicant at both MD and DO schools (as opposed to just MD schools, as it currently is?)

If you can interview decently and apply broadly to DO schools soon there shouldn't be any reason for you to have to be a re-applicant for DO programs. While anything is certainly possible not getting into a single DO program with a 3.9/32 that reveals a bigger issue. Key is applying thoroughly and timely

Each time I think about sending you a neurotic PM laden with panic and need for advice...I think of this statement and breath a bit :yuck:

@Goro, I just envision you hitting Ctrl+V and having that be automatically pasted onto the reply box every time you use it.

I picture you have this statement permanently copied in your clipboard so all you have to do is hit ctrl-v.

With less that half the applicants who apply to medical school, matriculating, one should always look forward and almost assume a reapplication.

Yeah, but most applicants in the 3.8-4.0 // 31-33 bracket on Table 25 do end up matriculating. This applicant's stats are better than most. It would be unusual for someone with these stats to get absolutely no interest. There's just not enough applicants with GPAs and MCATs above that to fill every seat, and many of the people that do have those numbers have their own glaring flaws.

Yeah, but most applicants in the 3.8-4.0 // 31-33 bracket on Table 25 do end up matriculating. This applicant's stats are better than most. It would be unusual for someone with these stats to get absolutely no interest. There's just not enough applicants with GPAs and MCATs above that to fill every seat, and many of the people that do have those numbers have their own glaring flaws.

Yes, it's identifying the glaring flaw that's proving difficult for me.

I'm not gonna lie OP, my app is worse than yours and I was complete early-mid August. I haven't heard back from mostly anyone either, so this was a bit...comforting.

Keep your chin up, though, we're all in this together.

0C3JFUK.gif

I'm not gonna lie OP, my app is worse than yours and I was complete early-mid August. I haven't heard back from mostly anyone either, so this was a bit...comforting.

0C3JFUK.gif

Three thousand seven hundred and twenty to one.

0C3JFUK.gif

Well, I'm glad to help in anyway possible, I guess! I know at least that I'm not alone...of the 8-10 applicants I know in real life, like 5 of them have 0 interview invitations and some just DO invitations. They say it keeps going until the spring so I guess we'll see. But if I don't have any come Thanksgiving, this holiday season is going to really going to blow.

Well, I'm glad to help in anyway possible, I guess! I know at least that I'm not alone...of the 8-10 applicants I know in real life, like 5 of them have 0 interview invitations and some just DO invitations. They say it keeps going until the spring so I guess we'll see. But if I don't have any come Thanksgiving, this holiday season is going to really going to blow.

Forget that nonsense! Eat a bunch of food, hang out with your family, and stop worrying about it. It'll happen in time with some patience, and absolute worst case scenario you wind up strengthening your app and reapplying next year. Don't let it detract from living your life.