Does nursing home volunteering = clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starlord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been volunteering at a nursing home for two years, and I really enjoy it. My plan is to continue volunteering there until I graduate. I wanted to know though if it would be considered "clinical volunteering." At the nursing home, I assist with rehabilitation (although that involves working with physical and occupational therapists) and help with social events. The only other activity I participate in that could qualify as a clinical experience is shadowing. Do you guys think I should try to also volunteer in a blatantly clinical setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, depends on your activities. Do you only play games / interact with the residents? Or is there a nurse or doctor there that you are able to follow around while they work with the patients, take exams, etc. There are technicalities in play as some consider them "residents" instead of "patients." Honestly, if I were you, I would see if I can get a volunteering opportunity at a hospital or a health clinic if possible, just to avoid any future headaches. It's better to do it now if you have the time.

I would consider direct patient interaction through nursing home volunteering as an excellent, clinical interaction. Combined with shadowing I see no issue.

More is never a bad thing, though. It wouldn't hurt to consider doing a medical job (e.g. PCT, Phlebotomy, Scribe, etc) to make you some money and get more experience, unless you have a better alternative for income.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is your sole experience, then you are on shaky ground. Being around elderly and disabled people teaches you something about the human condition but these folks aren't patients except during their rehab sessions when they are receiving care under a doctor's orders. The social events in a nursing home are a community service but they aren't clinical. You wouldn't recommend working at Chuck E Cheese as a clinical experience for a future pediatrician, would you?

Reactions: 1 users
If this is your sole experience, then you are on shaky ground. Being around elderly and disabled people teaches you something about the human condition but these folks aren't patients except during their rehab sessions when they are receiving care under a doctor's orders. The social events in a nursing home are a community service but they aren't clinical. You wouldn't recommend working at Chuck E Cheese as a clinical experience for a future pediatrician, would you?

Working at a nursing home, I certainly smelled SOMETHING.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been volunteering at a nursing home for two years, and I really enjoy it. My plan is to continue volunteering there until I graduate. I wanted to know though if it would be considered "clinical volunteering." At the nursing home, I assist with rehabilitation (although that involves working with physical and occupational therapists) and help with social events. The only other activity I participate in that could qualify as a clinical experience is shadowing. Do you guys think I should try to also volunteer in a blatantly clinical setting?

If you're not seeking paid employment and enjoy working with the elderly, try volunteering with a hospice. You will still be working, by and large, with the elderly, but they will be actual patients with specific diagnoses. You will have the opportunity to observe the progress of terminal illness and probably also have the opportunity to shadow while you're volunteering.

It does in my book.

Reactions: 1 user