Does post-bacc program prestige/school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogismom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about 5-7 classes missing as prerequisite requirements and I'd like to apply for vet school the next cycle (2022/2023). I am struggling to figure out which post-bacc programs make the most sense to apply to. Does the "name" of the school matter or weigh very much when school's consider my application? Should I apply to post-bacc programs at schools that have veterinary programs that I am interested in?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a non-traditional applicant and took most of my prereqs as a post-bacc student at a super tiny no-name school in the south (cheap!). The name didn't seem to make any difference for my applications (multiple acceptances) but I did walk away from that school with 2 killer professor letters of recommendation due to the small class size. I think the letters had a bigger impact on my application than a school name would have. But that's my n=1 experience :)

Reactions: 2 users
I was a non-traditional applicant and took most of my prereqs as a post-bacc student at a super tiny no-name school in the south (cheap!). The name didn't seem to make any difference for my applications (multiple acceptances) but I did walk away from that school with 2 killer professor letters of recommendation due to the small class size. I think the letters had a bigger impact on my application than a school name would have. But that's my n=1 experience :)
Thanks so much for this advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely go for the cheapest option. You’re already going to be spending so much on vet school tuition that any savings beforehand is very beneficial. As long as the school doesn’t specifically say certain classes MUST be taken at a 4 year university (vs a community college), they don’t care. I don’t know if any schools still have that requirement but I know at least one did in the past.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely go for the cheapest option. You’re already going to be spending so much on vet school tuition that any savings beforehand is very beneficial. As long as the school doesn’t specifically say certain classes MUST be taken at a 4 year university (vs a community college), they don’t care. I don’t know if any schools still have that requirement but I know at least one did in the past.
I'm not even sure where to start looking! I completed my Bachelor's and Master's (in progress) at the same university, but it's a private school so I'm not sure if I want to stay another year and complete my prefers at such a high price. Are there any particular schools that have good post-bacc programs for vet school?

I'm not even sure where to start looking! I completed my Bachelor's and Master's (in progress) at the same university, but it's a private school so I'm not sure if I want to stay another year and complete my prefers at such a high price. Are there any particular schools that have good post-bacc programs for vet school?
If you can complete the classes at a community college, that would be your cheapest option. If the classes you have left are upper division ones that have to be done at a 4-year institution, then go for the closest state school. The name of the school doesn’t matter, just your performance in those classes.

Reactions: 4 users