General Admissions & OTCAS Does Retaking Courses Look Bad On OT School Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisC462

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate in May and I want to retake a C that i received in a music class my freshman year. If i retake this C and get an A, it will bring my GPA from a 3.6 to a 3.72. I already retook 2 classes in the past and got an A on both my second time so how bad would retaking a 3rd class look? My school allows 4 retakes and they recalculate your GPA using your new grade even though both grades remain on your transcript. The old grade is only marked with an R. (Ex. if I got a C the first time and an A the second time the C will still be on my transcript as "RC")

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it looks bad at all. It shows a desire to better yourself. I have lots of retakes on my transcripts. Life is different for everyone and therefore we can't all have a "perfect" looking transcript.

I completely agree with @looneybird77

When I contacted a school about a prerequisite question they mentioned it looked really good that I had retaken a class, I think it shows a lot of initiative and shows that you really care. Schools aren't necessarily expecting perfect scores and transcripts, they want people who are really dedicated and show they will be great OTs.

Yep! Since it looks like I won't be getting in this cycle I registered for 3 other classes in order to make my GPA more competitive. Schools want those students that are willing to do whatever it takes for the profession! For me that means sitting on a recumbent bike in the school fitness center for an hour a day reading A&P!