Does SDS PAGE break up protein polymers under nonreducing conditions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueComet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it didnt but from the section bank, in one problem they seem to think that it does. Does anyone know for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

upload_2018-5-16_9-39-56.png

Members don't see this ad :)
So just to clarify (b/c I have nothing better to do), there are three types of gel experiments that are run with proteins:
(PAGE = Poly-Acrylamide Gel Electrophoresis)

--Native PAGE
--SDS-PAGE
--Reducing-PAGE

Native PAGE:
Least common gel electrophoresis. Protein is run through gel in its "native state", i.e. as a big globular ball.
***Tertiary and quaternary structures remain intact

SDS-PAGE
Uses SDS (sodium dodecylsulfate) as a detergent to disrupt hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interactions that keep protein in native shape.
***Disrupts tertiary and quaternary structure not linked by disulfide bonds

Reducing-SDS-PAGE
Uses beta-mercaptoethanol (most commonly, sometimes other reducing agents are used) to break disulfide bonds.
***Tertiary and quaternary structure is completely dismantled, only secondary structures remain

Reactions: 1 users

The homotrimers will break up under normal (non-reducing) SDS-PAGE because the three identical subunits must be linked with either one or a combination of hydrogen bonds, hydrophobic surface interactions, and/or salt bridges. The SDS detergent will disrupt these interactions and result in three separate unassociated peptide chains.

Reactions: 1 users
The homotrimers will break up under normal (non-reducing) SDS-PAGE because the three identical subunits must be linked with either one or a combination of hydrogen bonds, hydrophobic surface interactions, and/or salt bridges. The SDS detergent will disrupt these interactions and result in three separate unassociated peptide chains.

Thank you! I feel I have a very good understanding now and wont get this question wrong on my saturday MCAT.

Thanks again!