Does Telepsychiatry pay OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would be happy finding a telepsych gig that pays 180/hr+ with bennies irrespective if the pt shows or not. Anyone know of such a gig, do tell.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be happy finding a telepsych gig that pays 180/hr+ with bennies irrespective if the pt shows or not. Anyone know of such a gig, do tell.

the best i've seen is 140/150 with ben regardless if pt shows. 1 hr billable admin time daily.

Members don't see this ad :)
How this works for some one living abroad? In my situation- I am on J1 visa and would like to go back to home country after residency. If I am BE/BC, have a License in one or few states, can I practice from my home country?

How this works for some one living abroad? In my situation- I am on J1 visa and would like to go back to home country after residency. If I am BE/BC, have a License in one or few states, can I practice from my home country?

You will have trouble doing this as some insurances like Medicare require the physician to be on US territory.

Reactions: 1 user

I've heard that Insight telepsych will allow you to do telepsych from abroad, but they apparently pay the lowest as well.

I want to know if anyone knows of any Telepsych moonlighting opportunities that would be available to residents?

If this is possible, the geographic arbitrage would be crazy. Less federal income tax due to not living in the US. No state income tax. Extremely low cost of living if residing in a third-world country. Strong dollar yielding favorable conversions. Inexpensive medical care.

I've heard that Insight telepsych will allow you to do telepsych from abroad, but they apparently pay the lowest as well.

Do you know the rate?

If this is possible, the geographic arbitrage would be crazy. Less federal income tax due to not living in the US. No state income tax. Extremely low cost of living if residing in a third-world country. Strong dollar yielding favorable conversions. Inexpensive medical care.

Do you know the rate?

Yep. I personally know people who were able to do just that. It's very tempting cause even QOL in Europe >>> US.

Do you know the rate?

I don't know their rate, but supposedly Insight pays the lowest out of all the telepsych companies at around $100-120 per hour (although this could be completely wrong, it's just what I've heard people mention)

I'm starting Genoa telepsych part time for extra income. It's 150 an hour whether the patient shows or not. You work from home and pick when you want to work.

What was your experience? How many patients were scheduled per hour? Are you still doing this?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your experience? How many patients were scheduled per hour? Are you still doing this?
I actually didn't take the position. I wasn't thrilled with it - the CMH population and telepsych, but was just looking for one day a week and they are super flexible about how often you worked. The company seemed great but the CMH they partnered me with was slow and in the interim I got a one day a week job as an independent contractor.

Anyone know of the feasibility of doing telepsych fulltime; i.e. 40-50 hours a week AND still getting paid for no shows?

Do the companies have enough volume to fill those kind of hours?

Anyone know of the feasibility of doing telepsych fulltime; i.e. 40-50 hours a week AND still getting paid for no shows?

Do the companies have enough volume to fill those kind of hours?
There are loads of salaried telepsych position. They are usually full time and take into account the no shows.

Thanks to everyone supplying information about the lower paying companies. It's rather exhausting trying to tease this info from the websites or company representatives themselves.

My only question is can anyone refer me to some of the highest paying ones?

(Or at least some companies that pay based on productivity.)

Thanks in advance!

I posted a while back about a TelePsych FT salaried position . Here is the link - TelePsych job opportunity .. your thoughts.

I am currently doing a conventional 40 hr per week OP employed position . Base is 220k. Plus I get 10 percent of that as Quality bonus which I have always met . Started in 2016 straight out of residency. Now want to switch over to doing the same position via TelePsych.

Since I now will have 3 years of relevant experience and this position is in a hard to fill rural underserved area , I am asking for a base of 250k + 10 percent quality .

Do you guys think this is reasonable ?

I posted a while back about a TelePsych FT salaried position . Here is the link - TelePsych job opportunity .. your thoughts.

I am currently doing a conventional 40 hr per week OP employed position . Base is 220k. Plus I get 10 percent of that as Quality bonus which I have always met . Started in 2016 straight out of residency. Now want to switch over to doing the same position via TelePsych.

Since I now will have 3 years of relevant experience and this position is in a hard to fill rural underserved area , I am asking for a base of 250k + 10 percent quality .

Do you guys think this is reasonable ?
Yes. Median Psych salary ~2 or so years ago was 256K

Could you provide me the source please . I am in the process of negotiating right now and could use the information . Thanks .

That is MGMA's psych median salary. I cannot access it for free to give you but my hospital system showed me it when I was applying. I think there are serious issues with how this data is collected in psychiatry given that we have some many folks that work several different revenue streams as well as cash PP but nonetheless that is what MGMA has.

That is MGMA's psych median salary. I cannot access it for free to give you but my hospital system showed me it when I was applying. I think there are serious issues with how this data is collected in psychiatry given that we have some many folks that work several different revenue streams as well as cash PP but nonetheless that is what MGMA has.

So TelePsych pay should be equivalent to the regular one , correct ?

I generally am not seeing telepsych pay as well as in-person, especially vs typical private practice.

I agree. Keep in mind for telepsych that they are getting a continual cut of your earnings. So even if they are contracting to a rural area that might pay better after they get their share it's usually less although sometimes similar depending on how low the pay is in your hip urban area.

I grew up really poor, ie in a trailer park and had ketchup sandwiches. I put myself through undergrad working two or three jobs at a time as I was too afraid to take out loans, no one in my family went to college and my neighbors didn't graduate from high school so I was not comfortable taking out student loans. I guess a level of security is relative. I have a place to live, an apartment not a nice one, but decent and in a safe neighborhood, a car that runs and food and clothes. A lot of my patients have an associates or bachelors or rich parents and make far more money than I ever will.
Who knows what the future holds for medicine? What field pays well now could end up being a low paying field in the future. I think happiness trumps money as long as I have the basics.
At least you had ketchup on your sandwiches :/