Does the lab you work in really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1159869

Have a friend who's going off to Harvard to work in a Nobel Prize winners lab next year for 2 gap years, and while of course I am extremely proud of them, they seem to think that this is going to do wonders for their application (i.e. have a better chance at Harvard).

Granted, they have very high stats (3.8+/518+) and will likely get a rec letter from the Nobel Winner who also sits on Harvard's admissions, but I'm skeptical of the claim that simply working in a "famous" lab will inherently give you an advantage over doing research in any other lab.

Thoughts? Or am I just being jealous?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
rec letter from the Nobel Winner who also sits on Harvard's admissions
This is what will greatly increase their chances lol.

Will definitely raise some eyebrows in the admissions room.

Granted, they have very high stats (3.8+/518+) and will likely get a rec letter from the Nobel Winner who also sits on Harvard's admissions, but I'm skeptical of the claim that simply working in a "famous" lab will inherently give you an advantage over doing research in any other lab.
You are correct. At the level of medical school admissions we mostly want to see that you understand the role of hypothesis-driven research in delivering care.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct. At the level of medical school admissions we mostly want to see that you understand the role of hypothesis-driven research in delivering care.
Would it matter more for MD/PhD applicants?

we've seen several students this cycle with letters from laureates who didn't get in.

Reactions: 2 users
I am more impressed with HHMI investigators and Lasker laureates. Nobels... eh! :) (Of course many Nobelists in P/M also are HHMI and Lasker recipients.)

A little bit more seriously though, it's not the awards that impress me... it's the grants. If your friend snags a pre-doctoral NSF research grant or a similar undergraduate research award, that would get my attention.

Reactions: 1 users