Does this count as research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy4psych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been looking for research assistant positions in my area and I stumbled across this:
http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/ofc/4418424796.html
My question is, would this count as research experience, even though it's not in the field of psychology? Or is it a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Not research experience. That said, if this was a "side job" done for money, its more relevant than what many end up doing in undergrad (waiting tables, retail. etc.) and would probably still be appropriate to include somewhere on the CV.

One would need experience in a real lab (and doing more than just data entry) to have any hopes of being competitive at a reputable program though.

And to tagteam onto what Ollie said: Once in a lab, try to coordinate with the investigators so that you may present their work (your work with them) at conferences or be added to publications/presentations that come as a result of their data.

Of course, that is what I meant to post. It never makes sense to present research that you do not know intimately yourself. Thanks for the clarification, psycscientist.
You don't want to coordinate to be added to them. You want to coordinate to do the work necessary for authorship on them.