This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tea Leaf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently heard that there are programs where you apply for a MS degree, and upon completion, they give you the option of going on to medical school? I haven't heard anything like this, does it then waive the MCAT? Please let me know if you've heard of this before! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Google is your friend for specific programs. They usually require an MCAT to enter and a certain GPA in the program to be accepted into the medical school (or receive an interview).

It's usually not guaranteed admittance but it's a high likelihood based on your performance at the program

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know that they were called Special Masters Programs... thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 user
There are different types of special masters programs (SMPs), but the SMPs offered by medical schools (ex. Georgetown, Boston University, Eastern Virginia Medical School, etc.) are where you take classes alongside medical students. Usually the top SMP students at these medical schools that do well and have a high SMP GPA along with a solid MCAT score receive interview invites from their host medical school. These students still have to take and do well on the MCAT. While the interview invite doesn't guarantee an acceptance, it does give the student an opportunity to get accepted to that school.

Here is the SDN official guide to special masters programs: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-official-guide-to-special-masters-programs.346106/

The original post was made back in 2006 but the last few pages have recent posts from within the last two years.

IMO SMP's are such a scam. At best, they guarantee you an interview. What kind of guarantee is that?