Does this schedule look doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this schedule look for Spring? Would it be too much? I'm also trying to rebound from a rough 2011, so keep that in mind...

Microbiology
Calculus I
Physics II with lab
Research

So... that's a grand total of 15 hours. What do you guys think?

Note: Sorry for making a new thread... need to get an answer ASAP! lol

Members don't see this ad.

How does this schedule look for Spring? Would it be too much? I'm also trying to rebound from a rough 2011, so keep that in mind...

Microbiology
Calculus I
Physics II with lab
Research

Credits-wise, I honestly would say this is on the easy side. Although, as a rebound, this seems like a good idea.

Some questions come to mind that will ultimately affect your semester.

1. How much of a commitment to research are you making?
2. How solid are you with mathematics and physics in general?
3. Is Physics II at your school calculus based, and if so, would you be at a disadvantage not having taken Calculus II?

Microbiology
Calculus I
Physics II with lab
Research

This looks more than doable to me, but it depends on your own strengths and weaknesses. 15 credit hours is a very manageable load, especially when you have research in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calc 1 is pretty conceptual, so believe it or not you're going to have to spend a fair amount of time reading the math textbook so that you can attain a deeper understanding of the material.

The second half of the course (which is likely going to contain a lot of application problems) will be difficult if you don't have a good intuitive foundation of derivatives and limits.

It wasn't as hard as I imagined it was going to be, but plan out doing tons of practice problems if you want to get an A.

I am not mathematically inclined, but I was able to get an A last term (while taking biology and chemistry).

Here are some resources that really helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL58C7BA6C14FD8F48

^ This guy does his own math videos on youtube, and at times he provides very illuminating, easy-to-follow examples of calculus problems you'll likely be encountering in first term calculus.

http://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/index.html

This is a professor who made a bunch of flash videos to help with calculus. I found them particularly useful in gaining a better intuition about the subject. I hate the feeling of just chugging through the problems and not really comprehending what I am doing.

Good luck!

Credits-wise, I honestly would say this is on the easy side. Although, as a rebound, this seems like a good idea.

3. Is Physics II at your school calculus based, and if so, would you be at a disadvantage not having taken Calculus II?

This.

Though for me personally, taking physics and calc at the same time would be rough simply because I'm terrible at math... so the above questions are good to think over.

sounds very doable. if you're not a math person, it won't be your favorite semester.

I think that if the OP is on quarters and not semesters then this isn't "on the easy side" as far as amount of hours go. the schedule looks fine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do anything lower than a 7.

This.

Though for me personally, taking physics and calc at the same time would be rough simply because I'm terrible at math... so the above questions are good to think over.

sounds very doable. if you're not a math person, it won't be your favorite semester.

Yea, I know... I'm terrible at math and physics! You can read my prior threads to see me talk about that lol. I hope that I'm not making a terrible mistake, by taking these two courses together knowing my track record with math and physics. It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about this semester! :scared: I don't see any other way around it though... I have a lot of resources at my disposal to help me, so I won't be totally in the dark... :)

Microbiology
Calculus I
Physics II with lab
Research

Yes. Very doable.
Make sure you do 1000x practice problems when studying for Calc.

1. I believe that I'll be working in the lab around 12-15 hours per week. M-F
2. Physics and Math are not my strong points lol... this is why I'm a bit worried. :scared:
3. The Physics II course that I'll be taking is trig based. So, no need to worry about that because I'm not going to be taking calc based physics lol.

Microbiology
Calculus I
Physics II with lab
Research

That looks very doable to me. Best wishes!