Does This Seem Like Good Undergrad Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soorajsingh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi yall.heres the deal, i go to UC Davis and we are on the quarter system
i am in my first year and my main objective at college is to complete predent preqs of chem/bio/ochem/physics, and i am not thinking much about degree requirements, just thinkin bout getting these done. anywayz, here is my plan:

year1: math/and GEs-basically a bunch of easy classes in addition to math.

year 2: chem/physics, with a cpl more easy A classes and maybe a course for my degree

year 3: ochem/bio, with maybe like 1 or 2 classes for my major

year 4: go to interviews(hopefully) and all coursework will be for my major since they prereqs in theory will be done. itll be like 4 classes over three quarters which will prolly be barely enough to get a b.s. in psych. if not then i am thinking i will jus change to like a BA in something since the degree doesnt matter to me, as long as I have a degree and that I have the degree before i enter dental school.

my question is this: does this plan seem logical or does it look like I am going too easy in year 1? because ppl have asked my why i am not enrolled in chem or anything jus like other first year premeds n such. it makes sense to me, but im not so sure others see it like i do.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take orgo and bio earlier so you can start preparing for your DAT's during your 3rd year. Perhaps take one of the science courses during the summer? Especially bio, you should've taken it during your freshman year, and perhaps have taken a more advanced bio course or biochem, which dental adcoms always like. You should talk to your advisor and the prehealth office and see what they think of your plan.

soorajsingh said:
hi yall.heres the deal, i go to UC Davis and we are on the quarter system
i am in my first year and my main objective at college is to complete predent preqs of chem/bio/ochem/physics, and i am not thinking much about degree requirements, just thinkin bout getting these done. anywayz, here is my plan:

year1: math/and GEs-basically a bunch of easy classes in addition to math.

year 2: chem/physics, with a cpl more easy A classes and maybe a course for my degree

year 3: ochem/bio, with maybe like 1 or 2 classes for my major

year 4: go to interviews(hopefully) and all coursework will be for my major since they prereqs in theory will be done. itll be like 4 classes over three quarters which will prolly be barely enough to get a b.s. in psych. if not then i am thinking i will jus change to like a BA in something since the degree doesnt matter to me, as long as I have a degree and that I have the degree before i enter dental school.

my question is this: does this plan seem logical or does it look like I am going too easy in year 1? because ppl have asked my why i am not enrolled in chem or anything jus like other first year premeds n such. it makes sense to me, but im not so sure others see it like i do.

well that sounds good to me... Let me tell you I wish i would have planned my university courses differently. I did all those courses within 1st and 2nd year. However are you sure that you don't have to take many more difficult courses? for example in Biology you will want to take other courses such as Biochem, histology, embryology, anatomy etc etc.... but you are right, you can go with an english major or even Film studies and get accepted as long as u have the pre req's.... Some schools do however weigh science courses more compared to ie gym courses... make sure you complete ur undergrad degree tho, or you have less of a chance for acceptance.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do those easy courses that you are taking your 1st year count towards your degree? Seems like a waste of time. Can you not take these courses and graduate a year early?

"I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it!" (Bill Murray in Ghostbusters)

I recommend taking chem and bio early, so you can take o chem afterward. Do physics later. If you do it this way, you wont have to spend so much time restudying material for DAT. I was able to study a week for DAT and still do well because of the previous coursework background. You will need the knowledge for the DATs ;)

take physics later, like during the year you are applying since it is not required for the DAT.

yea but if i dont finish prereqs by the time i apply then how will schools know what my complete bcp gpa is?

they dont need your entire college bcp, just up until when you apply. id start taking science classes asap and save your geneds for sr. year. that way you can prepare for the DAT, take upper level sci courses, and your transcript will look like you knew what direction you were heading in. then, when its sr. year, you get into dental school and take some sociology and psych classes so you can have a life. im in that phase right now :D

like the other said, u should take bio/chem earlier, and physics later. it also seems like ur wasting ur entire first year, u should take bio/gchem then

PickMe said:
they dont need your entire college bcp, just up until when you apply. id start taking science classes asap and save your geneds for sr. year. that way you can prepare for the DAT, take upper level sci courses, and your transcript will look like you knew what direction you were heading in. then, when its sr. year, you get into dental school and take some sociology and psych classes so you can have a life. im in that phase right now :D

This might sound like a noob question, but I'm just trying to prepare myself before I head into undergrad college, once I'm finished my high school in June:

What are the requirement for Dental admission? I mean what Science? Like chem 101, Bio 171 or something like that?
I'll be taking Pre Dental at my local college. They basically will preapre to get into a Dental College. This is a 2 year program and I'll be starting from Sept.

RoCKK said:
take physics later, like during the year you are applying since it is not required for the DAT.

I agree. And as heinous as this may sound, I think physics is a good course to take over the summer. Sure, you'll endure ten or so weeks of misery, your summer (or lack thereof) will be spent contemplating obtuse topics such as vectors and neutrinos and you'll be so exhausted you can't breathe and walk at the same time, but you'll get that horrid class done and over with. You won't be tested on it on the DAT and, come fall, you can bask in the joy of having it out of the way in one quick swipe while your poor friends suffer through a year of the nasty stuff. Good times.