Does turning down a medical school make it less likely you will get into residency there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

licorice1

Reaction score
I got into two of my top choice schools (!!!!), A and B. A is in a much better location, and has a hospital that I would like to end up at for my residency. B is in a location I am not a big fan of, but could live with for 4 years, it is also a better medical school, and gave me a better scholarship. I would love to go to school B, but I am worried that turning down school A will make them see me less favorably for residency. Is this a thing that occurs? Or are the programs completely separate/don't really care where I go to medical school and won't be offended if I turn them down.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they'd remember you turned them down, but obviously you'd have a worse shot because it wouldn't be your home program.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess it's not impossible, but I feel like it would be very unlikely. Residency programs do their own thing and I doubt they have the time/willpower to track stuff like this down.

Reactions: 1 user
I got into two of my top choice schools (!!!!), A and B. A is in a much better location, and has a hospital that I would like to end up at for my residency. B is in a location I am not a big fan of, but could live with for 4 years, it is also a better medical school, and gave me a better scholarship. I would love to go to school B, but I am worried that turning down school A will make them see me less favorably for residency. Is this a thing that occurs? Or are the programs completely separate/don't really care where I go to medical school and won't be offended if I turn them down.
No. No one will be offended.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they'd remember you turned them down, but obviously you'd have a worse shot because it wouldn't be your home program.
This. You always have a leg up when you're applying to your home program. But I wouldn't decide your med school based solely on this factor, especially when you don't know what you'll want in 4 years.

Reactions: 6 users
No. No one will be offended.
Have you considered asking school A for additional financial assistance? Something like: I'd really love to attend your program but financially I have a better alternative, is there anything you can do? If you aren't planning to be in the top of your class in a competitive specialty, the location may make up for the "better medical school", if you can get the financials to work. There is a bit of an advantage to residency when applying to your home program and the much better location may improve your quality of life. And, I agree with Moko - "No one will be offended".