Does where you do residency matter to get jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a program (lower on my list) in a state I know I will not be working as an attending in the future. It is also a program that has mostly DO residents (I'm an MD) and has some OMM training (although I think it is optional for me) and is a small community hospital (not that well known). Will all these factors affect me when applying for jobs in the future? Due to my husbands job, we would have to work in Seattle and it just hit me that I might have more trouble finding a good job with good pay with my residency in Seattle.
Is this something I have to worry about?

Members don't see this ad.

Not in the least. Your job now is to learn everything you can a be a good physician. Develop good habits now on how to find the answer when you don't know something. My residency and fellowship happened on opposite sides of the country, and when I found my attending job, neither really mattered. There are so many FM jobs all over the country that you should have your pick, especially in Seattle.

Reactions: 2 users
I matched into a program (lower on my list) in a state I know I will not be working as an attending in the future. It is also a program that has mostly DO residents (I'm an MD) and has some OMM training (although I think it is optional for me) and is a small community hospital (not that well known). Will all these factors affect me when applying for jobs in the future? Due to my husbands job, we would have to work in Seattle and it just hit me that I might have more trouble finding a good job with good pay with my residency in Seattle.
Employers care about
1) are you board certified
2) no infractions/ lawsuits
3) you will take care of patients

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Employers also care about

4. How many patients can you see per day (how much revenue can you generate?)
5. Are you a complainer who will cause a lot of ruckus

I interviewed for jobs out of state and literally no one heard of my residency nor did they really care. They still say I "trained somewhere in Minnesota" which isn't even the right state

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Nope. No one cares. All they are about is 1. Board Certified 2. No dings on your record. 3. Do you have a DEA. That's it. Learn as much as you can.

Not in the least. Your job now is to learn everything you can a be a good physician. Develop good habits now on how to find the answer when you don't know something. My residency and fellowship happened on opposite sides of the country, and when I found my attending job, neither really mattered. There are so many FM jobs all over the country that you should have your pick, especially in Seattle.

Looking back on my fellowship year, which included precepting FM residents, I definitely wanted to re-highlight the following above.

I thought developing such habits would've been straightforward in FM residency in this day and age, but I was wrong. So very wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking back on my fellowship year, which included precepting FM residents, I definitely wanted to re-highlight the following above.

I thought developing such habits would've been straightforward in FM residency in this day and age, but I was wrong. So very wrong.
Care to elucidate? Like residents giving up and not looking for answers? Attendings?

I interviewed for jobs out of state and literally no one heard of my residency nor did they really care. They still say I "trained somewhere in Minnesota" which isn't even the right state

This. All day long, this.

Care to elucidate? Like residents giving up and not looking for answers? Attendings?

Mostly residents at all levels asking me questions that can easily be answered with a two second search on uptodate and answering "no" when I ask if they tried to look it up.

Reactions: 1 users

LOL not even in the right state hahahah