Does withdrawing look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys so I need advice. I'm taking 19 credits this semester and it's kind of stressful because I have 3 science classes. I'm not doing that well in chemistry so I'm thinking of withdrawing. I know that it doesn't affect gpa but does it look bad for med school?
I'm doing really well in the lab but lecture is a different story.. I'm getting As on the homework but have a D and an F on 2 exams and I only have 2 more exams to go. The lab counts for 25% of the total grade.. Is there any hope that I can get a C or better at this point?
Should I just withdraw or keep trying?

Members don't see this ad.

I would withdraw before I would receive a C, personally. If you do decide to take a W, make sure you rock the retake.

Withdraw. I imagine that one or two Ws are fine. Just don't make it a habit!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rather withdraw then make a C. Heck I almost withdrew from a class because I thought I was going to make an A- and ruin my GPA haha

withdraw looks bad, a D looks worse.

any chance of doing pass/fail and trying to at least pass?

Money is to be considered too. I was too cheap to withdraw...to hell am I retaking a class.

I would withdraw. Withdrawing doesn't look good by any means, but I would think a lot of people have at least one. Its not the end of the world by any means. If you have a good GPA, it won't affect you.

But why are you taking 19 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
So a W doesn't hurt your chances for Med school? I plan on taking the class again next semester

Withdraw not so much because of the whole "C vs W: the C looks a lot worse" discussion but to allow yourself proper time to focus on your other science classes. It would be a real travesty if you spent all your time on one ochem class just to scrape out a C that it affected your performance in other courses

I don't understand why people freak out about a couple W's. It's not going to affect you unless you continuously do it.