Does Working With Kids Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CriticalLimit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had a job ever since I was 16 at a tutoring center. I was their very first employee and was officially hired a month before the facility was actually "built". I tutor kids and remember how when I was first hired and the place was new, we had like 2 students enrolled, and I would usually spend most of the days filing. Now, we have over 120 currently enrolled. I'm the lead guy at work, and I know all the kid's names, we chit chat, they look up to me, I've been called a hero, the kids laugh at my cheesy jokes, I get to hear them out on their problems in school, and I mentor them in between downtime when we're working. We play logic games and we teach them the value of hard work through a point/prize system. The kids think I'm a clown and think I'm one of them. I'm a seven year old in a man's body. I've taught kids how to tell time for the first time in their lives, multiply, and even turned around some high schoolers who gave up on college to want to pursue their dreams. I remember I helped one student go from a 58 in his Algebra II class to a 91 in his Pre-AP Precalculus Class the next year.

Would this help to put on a medical school app? I'm pushing 6 years working there now.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a job ever since I was 16 at a tutoring center. I was their very first employee and was officially hired a month before the facility was actually "built". I tutor kids and remember how when I was first hired and the place was new, we had like 2 students enrolled, and I would usually spend most of the days filing. Now, we have over 120 currently enrolled. I'm the lead guy at work, and I know all the kid's names, we chit chat, they look up to me, I've been called a hero, the kids laugh at my cheesy jokes, I get to hear them out on their problems in school, and I mentor them in between downtime when we're working. We play logic games and we teach them the value of hard work through a point/prize system. The kids think I'm a clown and think I'm one of them. I'm a seven year old in a man's body. I've taught kids how to tell time for the first time in their lives, multiply, and even turned around some high schoolers who gave up on college to want to pursue their dreams. I remember I helped one student go from a 58 in his Algebra II class to a 91 in his Pre-AP Precalculus Class the next year.

Would this help to put on a medical school app? I'm pushing 6 years working there now.
This sounds like a terrific activity that embraces teaching, mentoring, leadership, and employment. Be sure your description includes all these facets. If a strong letter would be written by your employer to support the entry, that would be ideal, as you've demonstrated many traits through this one activity that translate well to those looked for in physician applicants.

Yup, it shows your altruism.