Does your program actually follow the 80 hour rule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cdoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program follows the 80 hour work week rule only on paper. If we report anything negative or that we are punished as a group and personally. We are pressured into lying about our hours, often doing 100+/ week. The program director knows what is going on and wants to keep it that way because residents are cheaper labor. He pressures the senior residents into compliance and pressuring junior ones to do the same. We have been told to just suck it up. We feel helpless in obtaining any changes. I guess I'm going to just do that but I want to know... Who else really follows the 80 hr week rule?

Members don't see this ad.

if you really want to try and effect change, say what program you're in so applicants are aware of the environment they're going into if they match at your program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the rule for ns was 88h/wk.

We have an 88 hour exception. I read somewhere that of the residency programs with one, nearly half are neurosurgery programs. We are compliant, and if we break rules the residents and faculty get admonished by the PD. It can be very hard to be compliant on some of our rotations and during certain weeks. I'm sorry to hear that the OP's program encourages lying, but I also understand the predicament the program is in because the ACGME rules can be impossible for some smaller NS programs to abide by IMHO.