Does your program's ranking affect the job search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navybluedreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I'm currently applying this cycle and some of the PTs at my work started getting into an argument about prestige of DPT programs. One of the PTs believes that I should wait to apply to higher ranked schools (which my chances of getting in are slim) verses schools that are not well-known (but are accredited). He thinks that it may affect what type of job I get when I get out of the program. Another PT, along with an OT, believe that it doesn't matter where you go to PT school, as long as you do well.

Have you heard of any DPT graduates' that may have a harder time finding the job of their choice because of the program they attended?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of anyone from a lesser known school having a problem finding a job. Having a "brand name" degree may help if you are looking to find a job on the other side of the country? Let's say you are looking for a job in Maine. A job from USC may get you in the door before a degree from Fresno State or another slightly lesser known school. Overall I don't think it would be a big deal. PTs are still in demand so as long as the degree is accredited I think you'd be cool.

People don't care where you got your degree. As long as you have your degree AND have passed the NPTE, that's all that truly matters

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMO the only professions where school pedigree counts are medicine and law; and possibly to a lesser degree, engineering.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely I would say engineering. I have a couple of friends who graduated with bioengineering degrees and they still cannot find a job in their field. And this is comparing to another person I know who graduated with the same degree but from a prestigious university and his job was lined up before he graduated. However, I did not hear of something like this concerning PT.

ive been to six clinics now. people had 6 offers upon graduation at times. not kidding. the demand is so unbelievably high right now, that for the next few years there will be no problem. your rotations are important though. if I get accepted, im taking rotations that id like to work at if the opportunity arises.

IMO the only professions where school pedigree counts are medicine and law; and possibly to a lesser degree, engineering.

I agree about law, but with medicine, it's more where you got your residency.

The PT clinic where I work in right now is desperately trying to hire a full time PT and it's one of the best PT clinics in our area and we've had very few applicants. The owner doesn't care where the degree is from, just that you got one and passed your exams/are licensed and excited to work hard. My advice on strategy would be to apply to a few high ranking schools and a few lesser (like a fall-back plan) and go with whichever school accepts you. The longer you wait, the higher tuition will be because it keeps increasing every year. It would be advantageous to get your degree and start working sooner rather than later. That's just my opinion. Good luck. :)

DDJ - Is there such a shortage of PTs in Eugene? Is it due to the high cost of living, the salary offered, the weather, a decaying city, or some other reason? I wouldn't mind moving there when I'm done with school.

Definitely. And business/MBA.

I agree about law, but with medicine, it's more where you got your residency.

That's true in the end, but it's tough to land the big name residencies if you're from a no-name school.

DDJ - Is there such a shortage of PTs in Eugene? Is it due to the high cost of living, the salary offered, the weather, a decaying city, or some other reason? I wouldn't mind moving there when I'm done with school.

I think there are definitely opportunities for PTs in Eugene, Oregon. We have a lower cost of living here and it's a wonderful place to live. I don't like to advertise it too much because it's kind of a hidden gem (in my opinion) and I don't want everyone figuring it out and flocking here and it becoming overcrowded. It's a mid-sized town with all the big city amenities. I pay $500 for rent here and live in a nice area in the South Hills. We also don't have taxes on merchandise so when you buy something here it's cheaper because there's no tax added on. There's a lot of rain here, but it keeps things green and beautiful. It's a very liberal and progressive town and I think some would describe it as a kind of hippie town and it does sometimes have that vibe.

I'd be curious to find out if the higher ranked schools also tend to be more expensive. If you are ambitious as a PT, then you might have a residency in your future. With larger student loan repayments every month, you may be less inclined to take a low paying residency and instead end up doing something you are less engaged in because it allows you to pay your bills. Just something else to consider....

OP: I've never heard a physical therapist say that a person's professional prospects are influenced by a school's pedigree, so I'm curious about the PT you work with who expressed this point of view. Is that person a new PT? Did he or she attend a prestigious school and end up in a dream job (or did the opposite happen)? It's just such an anomaly relative to my experience up to this point that I'd like to learn more about this person.

I have never heard anything like that from a PT or anyone knowledgeable about PT either...all I've ever heard is that where you go to school won't matter to anyone in the world.

That's true in the end, but it's tough to land the big name residencies if you're from a no-name school.

Probably not as much for an MBA either. We have Stanford, Berkeley and Santa Clara. Mt. Saint Mary's and San Jose State aren't bad either. I graduated from a lesser known Bay Area state university but my cohort of 32 and I fared just as well for job offers in and out of state. My classmates have found positions in Salesforce, Google and Genetech to name a few. I believe the perception of one program doing better than another comes from admission criteria. Many top ranked schools require management experience (as it should be) while some even require management experience within a Fortune 500. In other words, many of those schools admit students who have already done well, currently holding mid/upper management positions and are sponsored by their company. They then publish their graduates' salaries in pretty charts showing how much grads are earning. A good Forb's article illustrated earnings before/after in comparison to tuition from top MBA schools. If you look it up, the top schools are not so flattering when the before/after comparison is made. The post salary range looked great when displayed alone. That's because enrolled applicants usually came in with an already decent salary range.

As for med school, yes, the pedigree may open up more doors to residency positions, however I believe that GPA and STEP scores are significantly more weighted.

This topic is really intriguing in a way. It's existence demonstrates that for some people, pedigree does matter. And it can matter to individuals for a variety of reasons. Name-branding and personal experiences being a few. A patient told me that she wanted her TKA to be performed at Stanford, "because it's Stanford". No other reason. Being from the area and having done my observations at multiple sites, Stanford is good... But we have a few smaller and more conveniently located community hospitals that have equal or better outcomes. I also had a patient who was a clinical pharmacist tell me that if all things being equal on paper and interview, she will look over a candidate for a new clinical pharmacist position if said newly licensed pharmacist graduated from her alma mater. Surprised, I asked her why. She told me that she felt that the school's curriculum prepared her poorly for clinical pharmacy when compared to UCSF.

Biases will always exist. Luckily, they seem small and far between.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think if you are going to a non-tier 1 nationally known school it matters more if you go to a school in the region where you are applying for jobs. That way the business have heard of the smaller schools and already have had students/other PTs who went there. If you move to a different region of the country and you went to a tiny school might be at a slight disadvantage to someone who also passes the boards and went to a local school.

I think it also makes a difference if the region/market you are looking at is saturated or not - then maybe it would make a difference.

On a personal note - i have seen/met great PTs from tiny schools I had never heard of and some OK PTs from the very top schools - it mostly depends on the student and if you can convey that in your interview (or your previous CIs say that on your behalf) I think you can get a job anywhere you want.

Although this is happening in rare instances now I think, residencies for PT are getting more and more selective and the school you go to may matter. I know we look at school, but more importantly faculty for the residency applicants we have.

I've been wondering how much the reputation of a program matters to those going into academia as well. That seems to be an area where reputation is very important as well.

Probably not as much for an MBA either. We have Stanford, Berkeley and Santa Clara. Mt. Saint Mary's and San Jose State aren't bad either. I graduated from a lesser known Bay Area state university but my cohort of 32 and I fared just as well for job offers in and out of state. My classmates have found positions in Salesforce, Google and Genetech to name a few. I believe the perception of one program doing better than another comes from admission criteria. Many top ranked schools require management experience (as it should be) while some even require management experience within a Fortune 500. In other words, many of those schools admit students who have already done well, currently holding mid/upper management positions and are sponsored by their company. They then publish their graduates' salaries in pretty charts showing how much grads are earning. A good Forb's article illustrated earnings before/after in comparison to tuition from top MBA schools. If you look it up, the top schools are not so flattering when the before/after comparison is made. The post salary range looked great when displayed alone. That's because enrolled applicants usually came in with an already decent salary range.

As for med school, yes, the pedigree may open up more doors to residency positions, however I believe that GPA and STEP scores are significantly more weighted.

This topic is really intriguing in a way. It's existence demonstrates that for some people, pedigree does matter. And it can matter to individuals for a variety of reasons. Name-branding and personal experiences being a few. A patient told me that she wanted her TKA to be performed at Stanford, "because it's Stanford". No other reason. Being from the area and having done my observations at multiple sites, Stanford is good... But we have a few smaller and more conveniently located community hospitals that have equal or better outcomes. I also had a patient who was a clinical pharmacist tell me that if all things being equal on paper and interview, she will look over a candidate for a new clinical pharmacist position if said newly licensed pharmacist graduated from her alma mater. Surprised, I asked her why. She told me that she felt that the school's curriculum prepared her poorly for clinical pharmacy when compared to UCSF.

Biases will always exist. Luckily, they seem small and far between.

Good post and thank you for further educating me on the business world.

Although this is happening in rare instances now I think, residencies for PT are getting more and more selective and the school you go to may matter. I know we look at school, but more importantly faculty for the residency applicants we have.

I was speaking about medical residencies, if that is what you are referring to.

I've been wondering how much the reputation of a program matters to those going into academia as well. That seems to be an area where reputation is very important as well.

If there was one are of PT that I could see school reputation mattering in, it would probably be academia. But ultimately publication and grant funding record is what is going to decide.