Doheny Eye Institute -- UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At least from the USC website, the faculty appear to be largely intact, but I guess it's a matter of money and prestige that went with Doheny?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. So when you combine the #5 and the #9 program into one super-program, does it become the #1 program?

It's bad news because Doheney is a source of prestige for USC. Its the reason USC is ranked so high and all of their big name faculty are on staff. It's hard to see how this could be a good thing for USC. Imagine if Wills Eye left Jefferson for UPenn or Mass eye and ear left Harvard for BU or Tufts. It's a big plus for UCLA because they just eliminated their #1 academic competitor, but bad news for USC

Doheny and UCLA will be hand picking faculty. The real question is how will USC's loss of money and (potentially) faculty affect residency teaching and workload?

Sounds like its chaos at USC right now, people choosing sides, etc..

I did not match at USC.....but if I did, I would be pissed and/or scared right now. I hope they pull it together.

Jules Stein doesn't need any more ego boosts ;)

Reactions: 1 user
i can't imagine they would screw over the residents like that, perhaps they will be able to continue working at doheny?

Perhaps.

But it would be a little weird to have USC residents continuing to rotate there if USC is no longer affiliated. If they were allowed to stay, I'm sure it will be a significant decrease in clinic and OR time....JS residents will need to come through and they will have priority.

The USC ophthalmology site now makes no mention of Doheny as a rotation site.

This is an ugly divorce. But the remarriage might not be so bad.

I'm not really sure what will happen with the Doheny building on the USC campus. I can only imagine that it will be bought by USC for pennies on the dollar. (Doheny seems to have no choice but to sell it to USC, as that building is situated smack dab in the middle of the USC medical campus.) That building will become the new "USC Eye Institute." Anyone who read the Sunday L.A. times knows that the rebranding has already begun.

There is some talk that Doheny, under UCLA auspices, will be relocating somewhere else in Los Angeles, and will populate a building with their hand-picked faculty as well as UCLA's doctors.

Just curious. What happens to the residents of Doheny? Do they move to LA or do they now stay under USC Eye I? And what about those who have already applied to Doheny?

how is this going to affect ucla going forward? will this make ucla a more competitive/desirable program?

any thoughts on how this will affect ucla, any potential downside?