Doing a Chart Review - Software for EMRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of existing software that would interface with an EMR like EPIC? Say I wanted to pull all the notes from 2 docs or departments into Access or Excel for 100 patients - does such a thing exist? It seems silly to have to scroll through every nurse note on your way to the notes you really want.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of existing software that would interface with an EMR like EPIC? Say I wanted to pull all the notes from 2 docs or departments into Access or Excel for 100 patients - does such a thing exist? It seems silly to have to scroll through every nurse note on your way to the notes you really want.

EPIC is specifically designed not to interact with other software. That's part of their mission to keep their software proprietary and maximize profits.

And believe it or not but 100 patients is small time for a chart review. You should be able to crank through that in a day.

Reactions: 1 user
EPIC is specifically designed not to interact with other software. That's part of their mission to keep their software proprietary and maximize profits.

And believe it or not but 100 patients is small time for a chart review. You should be able to crank through that in a day.

That's too bad.

And 100 in a day? It takes me half an hour per patient right now...how do you get through them that fast?

Members don't see this ad :)
Epic has reporting applications such as Reporting Workbench and Clarity which can dump to external. It's overkill for 100 patients and it's doubtful you would have the security to write your report in Epic, so it's pretty much easier to just grind through that manually. Just tweak your workflow, aka set up some filters so that Nursing Notes don't show up, etc.

Epic being specifically designed not to interact is pretty misinformed.

Epic has reporting applications such as Reporting Workbench and Clarity which can dump to external. It's overkill for 100 patients and it's doubtful you would have the security to write your report in Epic, so it's pretty much easier to just grind through that manually. Just tweak your workflow, aka set up some filters so that Nursing Notes don't show up, etc.

Epic being specifically designed not to interact is pretty misinformed.

Epic having multi-million dollar contracts with large scale data-warehousing companies/apps (or making their own - I thought Epic owned Clarity), is a wee bit different than what the OP asked about...

If you are working with someone at a hospital, you may be able to contact their data warehouse to pull specific things for you.

Epic having multi-million dollar contracts with large scale data-warehousing companies/apps (or making their own - I thought Epic owned Clarity), is a wee bit different than what the OP asked about...

I feel that you dislike the software (which is entirely fine), have heard random things and terminology, and try to piece them together but in a way that isn't entirely accurate but sounds good for a narrative.

First, you were the one that was throwing out gross exaggerations and reductionist sweeping statements (which have little to do with OP in the first place), and so I pointed that out.

And to provide some accurate information. Clarity is the Epic application that can covert its fairly difficult database structure into a reporting database warehouse (in large variety of systems like Oracle and SQL) and in the process can create useful reports. That is usually done by a team of report writers at hospital.

Secondly, Reporting Workbench is another Epic application that is intended to be used in real time. User picks specific criteria ("patient name", "attending") and a specific output ("physician notes") and it spits out a report in table form after a few minutes, which can be exported to Excel. Something like that would absolutely be what the OP wants, except that in the real world Medical Students typically do not have the security to create Reporting Workbench reports and most Med Centers don't like the idea of giving Med students access to being able to export out hundreds of patient information. I wish Security teams would give out these access, but they don't.

Reactions: 1 user
You can export any data from Epic that you would like. But you just can't do it as an end user - for the data you will need to reach out to your hospital IT staff who have privileges to do such a thing. There are some functions that export directly into an excel sheet.

Source: Ex-Epic employee