Doing PharmD if you have already done with Ph.D in Zoology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailaja

Reaction score
Hello all

Would anyone give a suggestion about the PharmD I have already done with my Ph.D. in Animal Physiology and would like to switch my career to Pharmacy by doing PharmD in one of the schools in the US. Is it possible to do??? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Yes its very possible to do. Why do you want to pursue pharmacy though? Do you like having debt and possibly being unemployed with such debt?

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all

Would anyone give a suggestion about the PharmD I have already done with my Ph.D. in Animal Physiology and would like to switch my career to Pharmacy by doing PharmD in one of the schools in the US. Is it possible to do??? Thank you

Yes its possible.

Depending on your debt to income ratio as an overseas student on a J visa status (or the like), it may/may not be the best outlook.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your goals. Also, an option is doing your pharmacy degrees and convalidating it to the US. A lot cheaper and although the process to get licensed in the US is long its not impossible.

I think it does not hurt to have that degree (looks interesting and probably helps you stand out). You want to be careful to meet all of the requirements for each school as an international applicant. And be able to articulate why you are specifically pursuing pharmacy after this other schooling and how it might apply to the field.

Hello all

If you have deep pockets..hey, go for it.....If you do not have deep pockets..it's time to get a little more creative about your future.....You know about the slope of a line? Pharmacy is on a line at least 45 degrees down...

Reactions: 1 users
With a unique combination of PhD in zoology and a PharmD, you could possibly market yourself as an expert in veterinary pharmaceuticals. Perhaps you could work for the FDA or USDA and provide all guidelines for medicine in non-humans.

It's a tight niche and will require a great investment on your part, but it does sound cool!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, definitely could also find faculty positions.

Reactions: 1 user