Doing the right things...I hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boomchic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions, been a lurker here for awhile. Story inbound.

A little background about me.

Went to college about 8 years ago and double tapped some classes.
I failed remedial English twice, remedial math twice, a business course and a computers course. Was lazy and just left community college and joined the military.

Well, military got my head on straight, I hope so anyways! :)
I start taking classes while I'm in, have had nothing but A's and B's. Retook the courses too with all A's to prove to myself that I could complete them. Have my associates, got out of the military, and now in university. My grades have been good, got straight A's the first semester and hopefully getting straight A's this semester. Working my tail off for it.

End of this semester, I will have 3.2-3.3 GPA. The only prereqs I've taken is English, both As. I start my biology this summer, with physics / chemistry / stats in the fall. Really excited.

I'm proud of where I have come and hope this is the right track to hopefully one day getting into med school!

Now my questions...

1.) I know those 6 F's are naughty, but if I maintain my upward trend will I still be okay. I haven't taken any prereqs yet minus English and those are A's. Will a 3.3+ GPA be okay with those F's lurking from 8 years ago? I plan on maintaining this trend and not afraid to admit I made those mistakes then.

2.) Grade replacement for DO schools. I'm seriously considering them and throwing around some MD apps for schools that are big on rural medicine. I'm a NV resident if that matters and a URM (first generation of college, hispanic).

However, how would these even be replaced?

Remedial English 4 credits (8 because I failed twice) - Tested into english 101 after placement test only 3 credits and got an A. Am I not going to be eligible for grade replacement because I took the higher English instead of redoing the remedial course?

Pre-Algebra 3 credits (6 because I failed twice) - Started from bottom math and got an A in basic math (3 credits) A in elementary algebra (3 credits), B intermediate algebra (3 credits), and B in precalculus/trig (5 credits). I'm pretty sure the basic math or elementary math would "count" but how does it work for grade replacement with a double fail if at all?

Do the remedial math courses count in my sGPA or does it only count after you take degree eligible math?

Computer was 4 credits in CA, its 3 in NV so I think I'm SOL on that one.

Business was 3 in CA, its 3 in NV so thats good.

Am I getting worked up over nothing since my GPA is >3.0 and I haven't even taken science prereqs yet? I know this might be worrying about things too early since I need to take all the science prereqs and a stats course, but this past still bothers me.

TL;DR thanks for those who did and answer my questions been a long road to this point!

Members don't see this ad.

IF you prove yourself from here on (which it seems you are doing) get A's mostly and rock the MCAT, apply broadly you will have a chance. Your status as a URM will help somewhat in that adcoms
may be more forgiving but not much, you still have to really get a great MCAT and keep getting A's in your prereqs. Good luck. Make sure you shadow, get some research if you can. Tons of research programs in the summer specially geared for URMs.

Thank you.

Do math classes that are <100 courses count towards sGPA or just cGPA? I looked up the 2015 aacomas application cycle instructions. It says only the last instance of a repeated class is included in the GPA calculation. So if I can get those two math replaced by the class I took later I should still have a salvageable sGPA. or am I nuking something when I should be getting ready for upcoming classes lol thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of other people are experts in grade replacement, but it's my general understanding that replacement with a higher level course in the same discipline is generally valid. You might also look into Texas with fresh start type of stuff - is it ten years?

First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

Well, military got my head on straight, I hope so anyways! :)

More than OK with your curreent success and veteran's status. Adcoms have soft spots for vets.
1.) I know those 6 F's are naughty, but if I maintain my upward trend will I still be okay. I haven't taken any prereqs yet minus English and those are A's. Will a 3.3+ GPA be okay with those F's lurking from 8 years ago? I plan on maintaining this trend and not afraid to admit I made those mistakes then.

You'll be fine for both MD and DO. Start with U NV-Reno, and TUNCOM.
2.) Grade replacement for DO schools. I'm seriously considering them and throwing around some MD apps for schools that are big on rural medicine. I'm a NV resident if that matters and a URM (first generation of college, hispanic).

Retake any F/D/C science coursework and let AACOMAS grade replacement do its job.
However, how would these even be replaced?
Don't worry about these.
Remedial English 4 credits (8 because I failed twice) - Tested into english 101 after placement test only 3 credits and got an A. Am I not going to be eligible for grade replacement because I took the higher English instead of redoing the remedial course?

Only the last, best grade counts.
Pre-Algebra 3 credits (6 because I failed twice) - Started from bottom math and got an A in basic math (3 credits) A in elementary algebra (3 credits), B intermediate algebra (3 credits), and B in precalculus/trig (5 credits). I'm pretty sure the basic math or elementary math would "count" but how does it work for grade replacement with a double fail if at all?

Google this or search these forums..
Do the remedial math courses count in my sGPA or does it only count after you take degree eligible math?

Yup, so quit fussing, and rock the MCAT.
Am I getting worked up over nothing since my GPA is >3.0 and I haven't even taken science prereqs yet?

I think you'll do fine if you work hard to do well on your remaining classes. I would suggest taking biochem and cell bio after pre-reqs. They seem really helpful on for me.

Have dedicated studying time for MCAT.

I think you should consider both MD's and DO's. Many schools appreciate reinvention.

Also if you're flexible to move and work a bit for a year while taking classes, Texas has lots of schools that have strong InState preferences. Though do not feel like you need to do that, just an option out there.