Dominican University Post bacc Success Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I was wondering if there was anyone here that completed the post bacc at Dominican and has successfully entered into a medical school. Please let me know. I plan to start the program this fall. The program seems promising but I just want to make sure. Also, if you guys don't mind, if you can mention the medical you were accepted into that would be great.

Post bacc program success is largely dependent on the student. I definitely don't have a problem with that. I guess for me, the registration process seems slightly unorthodox. I mean, I've got the program directors cell phone number on my phone lol! Registration also is sort of a hassle. I guess I'm wondering if I should take these as warning signs or not is all. If people have attended this program and have gotten into medical school thereafter, then I will be put at ease and won't care about those little things.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to second this question. I was recently accepted to both Northwestern and Dominican University for a Fall 2014 start. I know NW has an awesome reputation, but I am a father and husband and would much prefer to do all my classes during the day (NW is nights and weekends). I know that my nights will mostly be ate up studying anyhow, but it is different to study at home with the family than to leave for class when everyone else is coming home.

Dominican seems like they have come a ways since they started the program almost a decade ago. I'd love to hear from DOM grads in med school or others' opinions on NW vs. Dominican.

Thanks!

I am applying to this program for the spring! How is the program so far and have your questions been answered? I am very curious myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to second this question. I was recently accepted to both Northwestern and Dominican University for a Fall 2014 start. I know NW has an awesome reputation, but I am a father and husband and would much prefer to do all my classes during the day (NW is nights and weekends). I know that my nights will mostly be ate up studying anyhow, but it is different to study at home with the family than to leave for class when everyone else is coming home.

Dominican seems like they have come a ways since they started the program almost a decade ago. I'd love to hear from DOM grads in med school or others' opinions on NW vs. Dominican.

Thanks!

Thanks!
I am applying to this program for the spring! How is the program so far and have your questions been answered? I am very curious myself.

AS,
Sorry, I can't answer your question. I ended up attending a different program so I don't really know how the actual coursework goes at Dominican. Loved the campus when I visited though!

F25

Hello folks w/ questions,

Let me start off by saying it isn't a conventional program, and YES, it's kinda unusual that Dr. S will give you his personal cel (it's not like he has 2 phones, it's his personal phone for real). I try to stay in contact w/ him, but that fell away when I started med school.

That said, many of us (in MY class) went on to medical school. A few of us to Loyola. A few more to LECOM (Bradenton). Another to Indiana University SOM. My friend had aspirations to be a dentist and she is now a dentist. I am referring to grads from like the '07-09 time period.

Do I know students of this program NOT in med school? YES!! There is an "attrition" rate. Even though I have not had much knowledge of the program for awhile, it's a fact that it's NO guarantee. But that can be anywhere!

HOWEVER, Dr. S has working relationships w/ many medical schools. If you are accepted to a linked program (like RFUMS), you ONLY go to that particular med school. If you attend here, you do have a chance to apply to other schools. And we (graduates) have done our job in paving the way and trying to establish a reputation at our respective med schools too.

That said, this program is more similar to medical school because you only get out of it what you put in. As an older student, I feel like a fair amount of millennial feel entitled to getting into med school. So getting into this program or ANY program still requires a degree of self-study and also self-reliance. Getting A's on everything doesn't say, "I am going to med school". And there are linked programs where this does happen. And if that's what you want, DO NOT attend this program! As far as I know there still is NOT a linkage.

This program main glowing attribute is support. Dr. S is a good man and will help you as much as he can. But it's not all up to him. If you make a new contact at a med school, get his help. He is not on the phone all day calling every school. But he will help you if you manage to start a relationship w/ a school.

My advice, since I don't check this forum OR SDN very often (I'm just post-call LOL) is the following:
~ Do AWESOME on the MCAT. Study constantly for it. The coursework of the program is helpful for MCAT study, as are the professors in their specific areas. Your score is not the end all, but it is a HUGE asset when applying to med school!!!

~ Do try to reach out to med schools you want to attend. And tell Dr. S you consider those schools highly.

~ Do support one another. I think what made our class so successful is we really helped each other. You are NOT competing against each other!!! And remember this when you get into med school. Selfishness is not a useful trait for any physician, and you can foster a working sense of teamwork w/ your fellow students.

~ DO keep Dr. S involved in your process. He DOES try his best to stay involved, but he's more involved w/ students who want him to be a part of their process. Meet w/ him (1-on-1) at least 1x/month. He's awesome! (Hint: Offer to buy him Starbucks, he usually pays for yours *wink *wink)

~ DON'T expect to get into medical school doing the bare minimum. Grades do not equal matriculating. There is additional work beyond the classroom to be successful.

~ DON'T be satisfied no matter what you achieve. There's constantly room for improvement! And that's what makes a successful post-bacc student, medical student, physician.

Good luck!