Donating blood while on exam period

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alysp13751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today you could donate blood in school and I did it without thinking much of it. Idk if its psychological or what but Im feeling super tired and Im in the middle of exams. Never doing it again...

Members don't see this ad.

So today you could donate blood in school and I did it without thinking much of it. Idk if its psychological or what but Im feeling super tired and Im in the middle of exams. Never doing it again...

I think they teach this in medical school. I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only felt extra tired after donating blood if I exercise or something. That's usually gone after 48 hrs though. Never had a problem studying/concentrating though.

I think they teach this in medical school. I think.

so they have a blood donating stand in the university hall and nobody goes because they are on exams? I think that is selfish. I think

Reminds me of my senior year in high school when I gave blood the day before my last wrestling tournament ever. I was sluggish as hell, lost both matches. Should have been able to beat the 2nd guy too... Needless to say, my coach was really really mad and accused me of losing on purpose so that I could leave early for a jazz band concert I had later that night. :(

so they have a blood donating stand in the university hall and nobody goes because they are on exams? I think that is selfish. I think

No my dear. But you donated blood, felt tired the same day, and then questioned if it was psychological or not. You must be an MS1.

So if you choose not to donate blood when it could affect your performance in school, you are selfish, even though you are completely free to donate at a later time? Really? If anything, it was dumb of the organizers to have the blood drive during exams.

Thats a first. Ive heard med students blame their bad test grades on lighting in the room, noise next door, and even based on them being assigned to sit on one or the other side or in the back of the room, but never from phlebotomy. :cool:

Thats a first. Ive heard med students blame their bad test grades on lighting in the room, noise next door, and even based on them being assigned to sit on one or the other side or in the back of the room, but never from phlebotomy. :cool:

:laugh:

But really, I have never had a problem running, lifting weights, and studying immediately after donating two units of RBCs. My non-medical advice is to find some caffeine and put it in your body.

Was this your first time donating? Different people respond differently to parting with a pint of their blood. I would bet that this is not only due to the physiological effects but also possible psychological effects ( don't mean blood donation is traumatic, but for some it may be a little freaky).

It seems plausible to me. I when I donated blood, I ended up blacking out a few minutes later and then being made to lie on the floor for the rest of the morning (to be fair, I hover right around the minimum weight and have since been told I really probably shouldn't donate because of that).

never blamed my grades on it, I actually did really well

Was this your first time donating? Different people respond differently to parting with a pint of their blood. I would bet that this is not only due to the physiological effects but also possible psychological effects ( don't mean blood donation is traumatic, but for some it may be a little freaky).

It seems plausible to me. I when I donated blood, I ended up blacking out a few minutes later and then being made to lie on the floor for the rest of the morning (to be fair, I hover right around the minimum weight and have since been told I really probably shouldn't donate because of that).

yea it was the first time. I felt weird during that day, but then back to normal. I was tired but not more than other times when I have exams and I am not getting much sleep

I'm not familiar with "exam periods", but I don't think they accept period blood of any kind for donation.