DONE!!! - Breakdown (AA22/TS23/PAT18) - 7/14/2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synthiac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Lame as it may sound but I have been dreaming of writing my own breakdown ever since I joined SDN :D People's breakdowns have been at times my motivation while at time my reason for panicking.

Materials used:
AP Bio Cliff Notes / AP Barron book (REQUIRED - either one)
Ferralis Notes (Recommended)
Chad's videos (REQUIRED)
DAT destroyer (REQUIRED)
MATH destroyer (REQUIRED)
DAT Bootcamp (REQUIRED)
CDP (if you get bootcamp you should be good since it has 10 tests but for further practice get this)
Youtube Crash course (biology) - (Recommended - Especially when you are tired of reading, it keeps you entertained and helps to visualize)

Here are my scores:
PAT : 18
QR : 20
RC : 20
BIO : 24
GC : 23
OC : 22
TS : 23
AA : 22

Firstly, a little background about me so you guys can hopefully help me out. I just recently graduated from university (major: Chemistry -biochemistry). I did my first 2 years at a community college and then transferred. My GPA is 3.5 oGPA and 3.4 sGPA. When I looked at the @doc toothache posts, I found myself panicking since I was a little below in my sGPA for the schools I hope to apply to. I started studying Monday after school got done and studied for approximately 2 months. I put around 6-7 hours everyday with several breaks (I seriously can't stay put in a place for more than 15 minutes unless I am taking a test or watching videos). I started following http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sample-dat-study-schedule.719365/ I tried to do the KBB but for me it didn't really work and so after 2-3 days I stopped studying from that book.
The schedule was incredibly helpful especially since I didn't know where to start. I had taken Orgo1 2 years ago and Orgo2 a year ago and so I was really rusty. As for gchem that felt like ages ago since I took it my first year of school. However, being a chemistry major definitely helped especially for gchem because most of my classes was only more in detail. I was so glad to have taken Ecology last semester (though there was only 1 basic question on it!). I also looked Ferralis notes to add more. Though it is WAY TOO MUCH in detail.
Following the schedule after a month of reviewing, I did the DAT destroyer for the first time. And as anyone would expect it kicked my ass! Thankfully, after reading all those numerous breakdowns, I was expecting it and rather tried to learn from my mistakes. I also did CDP for PAT every 2-3 days. Honestly, I hated PAT! I know there are people who found it to be stress-relieving but for me every time I took a test, I just wanted to cry. I looked into tutorials and eventually my hole punching, pattern folding and cube counting got better. As for TFE and keyholes, I just gave up on those. I will post my BC and CDP scores below. So after finishing the DAT destoyer, I felt confident going into BC practice tests. This also kicked my ass. I had read that BC was hard (especially orgo for me) but honestly, I needed this to bring me back to reality. It made me realize that I needed to get more of my foundation solid. I took a week off the schedule and just did BC tests while reviewing Chad's videos and looked into my notes (Orgo & GChem). When I did DAT destroyer the second time, I did fairly better. 4 days before my test, I basically reviewed Bio by watching Crash Course ( I tried to re-read Ferralis but couldn't!), read my notes for Orgo and did Reading Comprehension & PAT everyday. 2 days before, I did the ADA 2007 for BIO, GC, OC & QR (scores will be below) Day before, I tried to take it slow but yeaaaah it isn't me. I did the ADA 2009 but it has a lot of mistakes. I tried to sleep the night before but ended up taking mini naps. I kept waking up with random questions in my head and then I needed to know the answer before I went back. Crazy? Yes I know!

The test:
BIO - I think AP Cliff was enough. My bio was mostly basic with 2 or 3 questions which I just guessed based on what I know. I had several questions on genetics (pedigree, crosses, probability). I had also taken Genetics lab last semester and so it was easy for me except one question which asked for ratios for 3 genes? (like wth? :S I just guessed that one)
GC - lab questions, and basic calculations with nothing too complicated. It was definitely concept heavy.
OC - I had like 3 freaking NMR questions! I hated those since I tried to memorize the numbers but I honestly kept messing up. Urgh!! I had a few reactions but mostly it was simple questions.
PAT - was expected. I tried to focus doing well on the ones I was good at and just tried to make sense of the keyholes and TFE. I ran out of time as I did with all my practice tests and so I didn't have a chance to go back and review :/
RC - I had interesting topics. 2 were science heavy while the other was general with a little bit of scientific research at the end. I used S&D. I did try some of the other techniques but I'm a terrible note taker and end up writing everything so it wasn't really helpful. Also, I'm a fast reader and so scanning the passages were easier. Even after that, I ended up finishing right on the dot and didn't have a chance to go and review.
QR - I don't know what came over me but the minute I saw QR I freaked out. It took me a few minutes to focus because honestly I couldn't make sense of any of the numbers. I think it was just the fact that I had been sitting for so long and not because it was hard. I always had problems timing myself for this section and I honestly don't know how people managed to finish it with 15 or more minutes to spare. The whole time I was doing QR I was on constant freakout mode. Again, I finish right on the dot and had barely any time to review.

Overall: The test is stressful and I don't know how anyone can take it without panicking. The entire time I was second-guessing myself. I think I used the marked option way too often because of that. The whole time I was testing, I kept thinking that this is it! I've been studying for this for 2 months and this is it. I have to do well!

BC scores:
Bio : 24, 21, 19, 18, 22
GC : 18, 17 , 19, 18, 19
OC : 15, 17, 17, 18, 18
QR : 17, 17, 19, 20, 18
RC : 17, 15, 17, 21
PAT : 16, 17, 17, 15, 15, 17, 17, 17

CDP: 14, 17, 16, 16, 17, 17, 18

ADA 2007:
Bio: 18, GC: 23, OC: 25, QR: 20, TS: 21
ADA 2009:
Bio: 21, GC: 20, OC: 18, TS: 19, QR: 17

My thoughts: There were several ups and downs. I am so glad that I didn't have to work for these 2 months and I continued to stay with my roommate so that I could focus for these 2 months. I am extremely thankful to have such amazing parents, friends and boyfriend who stood by me when I was feeling low. Honestly, there were days where I was so depressed and I just couldn't study. I was exhausted from studying so much and I just wanted a break. But now it feels worth it.
For my fellow DAT takers, hang in there. The best is yet to come. Trust me!

Moment of truth: Now I need some advice. I submitted for FAP and got accepted. So by the 17th I have to submit my application. Besides my personal statement, I'm done with all of it. I am from VA and so my first choice is VCU. I really don't want to go far away from my family. VCU is where I did my undergrad too and so I would love to continue studying there. Besides that I am thinking of applying to MD, UPenn and Rutgers. What are my chances? Also, I can afford to probably apply to one more school so which one would you suggest. (I really want to stay on the East coast - as close to VA as possible).
Thank you all for reading this HUGE post and I hope I was of some help. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Your scores are great! I'm glad it all paid off :)

I have my DAT this Wednesday... can't wait to be on the other side :3

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome scores!! I would apply to a handful of more schools though, if possible. Just to be safe. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the score! You're done!
How did QR compare to the questions in Math Destroyer and how did you study Math destroyer. I would be happy with your 20 in QR!

I found it to be quite comparable to Math Destroyer. Especially topic wise. I had a lot of algebra and geometry in my test. When I was working on Math Destroyer I focused on understanding the solution of the problems. After several tests, I found myself able to recognize the type of questions. My only problem was timing. I will say that do the 1st 5 tests without timing and the rest 5 with timing. The last few tests are ridiculously hard and honestly not worth the attention. Maybe once you are done with these, then you can look at the other 5 :)

Great scores! What did you get on the 2009 ADA PAT?

I didn't do the PAT of either tests. 2009 ADA annoyed the hell out of me with all the questions that were wrong. Also, since I did it on the last day, I wanted to practice PAT which had more explanations and so I did CDP (got 18) and that was my final score! So I was extremely pleased :)

Just curious... but the 2009 QR questions with the rays/ellipse/mirror lens crap are all leftfield and not really representative of the actual exam right?

Congrats! Your scores are great! I'm glad it all paid off :)

I have my DAT this Wednesday... can't wait to be on the other side :3

You'll be so glad once all that stress is over. My last day I just wanted to fast forward time and finish the damn test!

Just curious... but the 2009 QR questions with the rays/ellipse/mirror lens crap are all leftfield and not really representative of the actual exam right?
I didn't have anything like that. I hated ellipses and so was glad to see none of that nonsense in my exam!

@synthiac would you say that QR is as difficult as the math destroyer? Maybe it isn't difficult to some, but it's kicking my tail! I take my test next Tuesday and this is my lowest. Any pointers would be awesome!

I dont think each test of Math Destroyer is equivalent to the real DAT. Real DAT was easier. I had one of those mixing concentration questions and more of algebra and geometry (like area of this or how many squares can be cut with this area) But knowing how to do the questions in the MATH destroyer is essential

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better knowing it isn't this hard.. Kind of annoying that I can master the sciences but can't wrap my mind around this math. Lol. Dang permutations/combinations... Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better knowing it isn't this hard.. Kind of annoying that I can master the sciences but can't wrap my mind around this math. Lol. Dang permutations/combinations... Lol

OMG I was so happy that I didn't have permutations and combinations in my exam! I hated those! I understood Chad's videos but when it came to applying it, I drew a blank :/

I hope I don't have any either, because when I see them I am like "okay so I have 16 people, in 5 chairs, I really want to go on vacation, this ball game in the problem sounds fun, oh I wonder what genes these 16 people have".

They are horrendous. Lol

Hey guys! Lame as it may sound but I have been dreaming of writing my own breakdown ever since I joined SDN :D People's breakdowns have been at times my motivation while at time my reason for panicking.

Materials used:
AP Bio Cliff Notes / AP Barron book (REQUIRED - either one)
Ferralis Notes (Recommended)
Chad's videos (REQUIRED)
DAT destroyer (REQUIRED)
MATH destroyer (REQUIRED)
DAT Bootcamp (REQUIRED)
CDP (if you get bootcamp you should be good since it has 10 tests but for further practice get this)
Youtube Crash course (biology) - (Recommended - Especially when you are tired of reading, it keeps you entertained and helps to visualize)

Here are my scores:
PAT : 18
QR : 20
RC : 20
BIO : 24
GC : 23
OC : 22
TS : 23
AA : 22

Firstly, a little background about me so you guys can hopefully help me out. I just recently graduated from university (major: Chemistry -biochemistry). I did my first 2 years at a community college and then transferred. My GPA is 3.5 oGPA and 3.4 sGPA. When I looked at the @doc toothache posts, I found myself panicking since I was a little below in my sGPA for the schools I hope to apply to. I started studying Monday after school got done and studied for approximately 2 months. I put around 6-7 hours everyday with several breaks (I seriously can't stay put in a place for more than 15 minutes unless I am taking a test or watching videos). I started following http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sample-dat-study-schedule.719365/ I tried to do the KBB but for me it didn't really work and so after 2-3 days I stopped studying from that book.
The schedule was incredibly helpful especially since I didn't know where to start. I had taken Orgo1 2 years ago and Orgo2 a year ago and so I was really rusty. As for gchem that felt like ages ago since I took it my first year of school. However, being a chemistry major definitely helped especially for gchem because most of my classes was only more in detail. I was so glad to have taken Ecology last semester (though there was only 1 basic question on it!). I also looked Ferralis notes to add more. Though it is WAY TOO MUCH in detail.
Following the schedule after a month of reviewing, I did the DAT destroyer for the first time. And as anyone would expect it kicked my ass! Thankfully, after reading all those numerous breakdowns, I was expecting it and rather tried to learn from my mistakes. I also did CDP for PAT every 2-3 days. Honestly, I hated PAT! I know there are people who found it to be stress-relieving but for me every time I took a test, I just wanted to cry. I looked into tutorials and eventually my hole punching, pattern folding and cube counting got better. As for TFE and keyholes, I just gave up on those. I will post my BC and CDP scores below. So after finishing the DAT destoyer, I felt confident going into BC practice tests. This also kicked my ass. I had read that BC was hard (especially orgo for me) but honestly, I needed this to bring me back to reality. It made me realize that I needed to get more of my foundation solid. I took a week off the schedule and just did BC tests while reviewing Chad's videos and looked into my notes (Orgo & GChem). When I did DAT destroyer the second time, I did fairly better. 4 days before my test, I basically reviewed Bio by watching Crash Course ( I tried to re-read Ferralis but couldn't!), read my notes for Orgo and did Reading Comprehension & PAT everyday. 2 days before, I did the ADA 2007 for BIO, GC, OC & QR (scores will be below) Day before, I tried to take it slow but yeaaaah it isn't me. I did the ADA 2009 but it has a lot of mistakes. I tried to sleep the night before but ended up taking mini naps. I kept waking up with random questions in my head and then I needed to know the answer before I went back. Crazy? Yes I know!

The test:
BIO - I think AP Cliff was enough. My bio was mostly basic with 2 or 3 questions which I just guessed based on what I know. I had several questions on genetics (pedigree, crosses, probability). I had also taken Genetics lab last semester and so it was easy for me except one question which asked for ratios for 3 genes? (like wth? :S I just guessed that one)
GC - lab questions, and basic calculations with nothing too complicated. It was definitely concept heavy.
OC - I had like 3 freaking NMR questions! I hated those since I tried to memorize the numbers but I honestly kept messing up. Urgh!! I had a few reactions but mostly it was simple questions.
PAT - was expected. I tried to focus doing well on the ones I was good at and just tried to make sense of the keyholes and TFE. I ran out of time as I did with all my practice tests and so I didn't have a chance to go back and review :/
RC - I had interesting topics. 2 were science heavy while the other was general with a little bit of scientific research at the end. I used S&D. I did try some of the other techniques but I'm a terrible note taker and end up writing everything so it wasn't really helpful. Also, I'm a fast reader and so scanning the passages were easier. Even after that, I ended up finishing right on the dot and didn't have a chance to go and review.
QR - I don't know what came over me but the minute I saw QR I freaked out. It took me a few minutes to focus because honestly I couldn't make sense of any of the numbers. I think it was just the fact that I had been sitting for so long and not because it was hard. I always had problems timing myself for this section and I honestly don't know how people managed to finish it with 15 or more minutes to spare. The whole time I was doing QR I was on constant freakout mode. Again, I finish right on the dot and had barely any time to review.

Overall: The test is stressful and I don't know how anyone can take it without panicking. The entire time I was second-guessing myself. I think I used the marked option way too often because of that. The whole time I was testing, I kept thinking that this is it! I've been studying for this for 2 months and this is it. I have to do well!

BC scores:
Bio : 24, 21, 19, 18, 22
GC : 18, 17 , 19, 18, 19
OC : 15, 17, 17, 18, 18
QR : 17, 17, 19, 20, 18
RC : 17, 15, 17, 21
PAT : 16, 17, 17, 15, 15, 17, 17, 17

CDP: 14, 17, 16, 16, 17, 17, 18

ADA 2007:
Bio: 18, GC: 23, OC: 25, QR: 20, TS: 21
ADA 2009:
Bio: 21, GC: 20, OC: 18, TS: 19, QR: 17

My thoughts: There were several ups and downs. I am so glad that I didn't have to work for these 2 months and I continued to stay with my roommate so that I could focus for these 2 months. I am extremely thankful to have such amazing parents, friends and boyfriend who stood by me when I was feeling low. Honestly, there were days where I was so depressed and I just couldn't study. I was exhausted from studying so much and I just wanted a break. But now it feels worth it.
For my fellow DAT takers, hang in there. The best is yet to come. Trust me!

Moment of truth: Now I need some advice. I submitted for FAP and got accepted. So by the 17th I have to submit my application. Besides my personal statement, I'm done with all of it. I am from VA and so my first choice is VCU. I really don't want to go far away from my family. VCU is where I did my undergrad too and so I would love to continue studying there. Besides that I am thinking of applying to MD, UPenn and Rutgers. What are my chances? Also, I can afford to probably apply to one more school so which one would you suggest. (I really want to stay on the East coast - as close to VA as possible).
Thank you all for reading this HUGE post and I hope I was of some help. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
I just wanted to ask if the exam felt easy for you? I've gotten slightly high scores than you in the practice test (Only because I took a beat down from destroyer first) and from what I've read, the exam is not that hard compared to the the study materials. My exam is in about 2 weeks and I feel kind of ready for it, but your scores have a big deviation from those of bootcamp.

I honestly don't know what happened with bootcamp. Especially for my bio scores. As for Gchem and Orgo - I reviewed my notes again after taking the Bootcamp tests which I feel like definitely helped me boost my scores. I found the test to be easier than Bootcamp or DAT destroyer but I feel like it is because you are given a variation of questions. As for Bootcamp it is more like a compilation of difficult questions.

Wow great scores!! good luck with your applications, glad to see your hard work paid off

Reactions: 1 users
Any tips on math section?? And pat, I'm retaking my exam in 90-100 days

Any tips on math section?? And pat, I'm retaking my exam in 90-100 days
Math Destroyer. Do tests 1-10 not being timed. If you feel as if you cannot attack the problem right away, mark it down as a question mark and move on to the next one. Review what you skipped and what you missed. When you are done, do the tests again but time yourself. For the PAT, do as many tests as you can and try to figure out why you are getting the ones you missed wrong.

Thanks for the breakdown, taking my test in about a month this was a great help!! Congrats and good luck applying!!