Done with Surgery forever!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katrinadams9

Working class hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully! The exam is now over and it's time to relax... Anyone else glad to be done with the surgery rotation? I thought these last two months would never end.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats.

As for me, I cant wait to get back into another surgery rotation. This medicine stuff is for the birds! :D

Well, I had a rough start to surgery but by the time I finished I sort of really liked it. I also really liked alot of the residents and attendings. I was surprised at how much I missed it. Especially when we were going on hour number five and we had still not finished with rounds on ten patients. Then yes, of course I missed surgery.

Do I want to do surgery? no, probably not. I'm pretty sure. I mean, the lifestyle? that's enough to make you weep right there. Third year is sort of strange, it's like one of those 'speed dating dinners' where you sit with someone for about ten minutes and try and see if you like each other. Hard to know if that's your soul mate across the table, when the bell rings after a few short minutes. Sometimes, of course you want the bell to ring! ;)

Enjoy your surgery-free rest of the year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats.

As for me, I cant wait to get back into another surgery rotation. This medicine stuff is for the birds! :D

IM is sucking the life outta me.....hey, good luck with your match! How are things going? PM me with details if you have time :)

I actually try to avoid the wards as much as possible, regardless of whether they are surgical or medical.

I'm soooo glad surgery's over. It was the worst two months ever.

Just finished Surgery, too. Though still planning on EM, I think Surgery is my 2nd choice. I miss suturing, in either case :( .

Third year is sort of strange, it's like one of those 'speed dating dinners' where you sit with someone for about ten minutes and try and see if you like each other. Hard to know if that's your soul mate across the table, when the bell rings after a few short minutes. Sometimes, of course you want the bell to ring! ;)

Excellent analogy!

Katrina, congratulations on being through with surgery. I have one more month of OB and will therefore be scrubbing in again and am therefore envious.:laugh:

I finished surgery too. I'm happy, but I think I may miss it a little. I have psych next and I'm definitely NOT looking forward to it. One thing I won't miss is the surgery shelf. That thing was HARD!

Anyway, congrats on everyone who completed surgery!

I'm interested in doing well in my surgery rotation. Aside from reviewing general anatomy, would it be a good idea to attempt reading Lawrence before the rotation? Perhaps its too low yield? Can surgery even be learned from a book? If not, is there something else i can do to sound intelligent from the get go during my rotation?

Can surgery even be learned from a book?

Surgery can't, but then again the shelf doesn't test surgery. Do yourself a favor and read Lawrence for the shelf, because if your school is like mine, your shelf will be your grade.

I'm interested in doing well in my surgery rotation. Aside from reviewing general anatomy, would it be a good idea to attempt reading Lawrence before the rotation? Perhaps its too low yield? Can surgery even be learned from a book? If not, is there something else i can do to sound intelligent from the get go during my rotation?

Surgery isn't so much about knowledge as it is being a team player, showing enthusiasm and initiative, and not eating for 14 hours. So don't be one of those pre-rotation reading doofuses, pick up a copy or Recall to prep for pimping, and study Lawrence for the shelf.

starting surg next..... what's Lawrence?

If you have the time, I think that parts of the Lawrence specialties book are also helpful for the shelf: urology, ortho, and neuro specifically.