dont know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troache

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys give very good advice. I am taking the pre med prerequisites at hunter college in NY. I am also majoring in nursing. I wanted to do the nursing so that when i get accepted into a dental school i can work as a nurse during the weekend and earn some cash. I have heard rumors that u cant work during dental school and that getting in is tough. So far my gpa is a 3.566, but i dont want my nursing courses to get in the way of my studies and affect my chances of getting into dental school. The nursing courses are very time consuming. They are mon-fri 8am-3pm. I want to get A's and B+'s in my pre med prereqs. Should i drop nursing and take up something less time consuming like psychology or should stay in the nursing program. If i drop nursing can someone give me a good major to take up, and if i stay in the nursing program is it worth it and will it be valuable on my dental school applications.......Help Me Please!!!!!!

P.S If i drop my nursing i get to have the whole summer off.

Members don't see this ad.

People will ask why do you want to do nursing if you are planning dental school? I'm sure they'll ask you that question. If you are really interested in dentistry, you have to prove so. And do it in some ways the admissions officers will buy it. I'm sure you can get in if you have good GPA, DAT. However, some schools just get picky.

Don't think of working in dental school, especially working as a nurse in the first two years. You can get very exhausted. (You know about your profession better than me). Also, if you want to work in your third and fourth year, go to dental schools in MA. The state lets second year students challenge the hygiene degree and works as hygienists. Or you can go do dental assistant work somewhere in the weekend, if you can handle it.

Good luck

The great thing about doing nursing, is if you are not accepted into dental school, you have an immediate career. The only other thing is you are only pursuing nursing for PT work while you are a dental student. It is impossible to work and go to dental school. I suggest you take a degree, such as a 4 year degree towards dental hygenist, or a diploma in your case. Remeber your GPA counts alot! Keep your grades up now, and immerse yourself into the dental field by shadowing ect., and do some extracurricular act. also.

Good Luck!