dont know what to do?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkplayer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating the december 2012 with a biology major with a 2.4 GPA from SUNY Binghamton. I have research experience for one semester. I've done volunteering jobs at hospitals and have been a office secretary at a pediatricians office. I am starting to show interest in medicine but I know that I cannot get anywhere with a GPA like that. I have not taken my MCATs and I'm very confused about my future. help please?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like medicine is a sudden interest for you, not a lifelong passion. In that case I would recommend that with your stats you stop thinking about medicine before you get too into it. While 2.4 uGPA isn't the end of the road, it does require you to take a long, expensive detour in the form of an SMP. You'll still need to hit your MCAT out of the park to help make up for the GPA as well, and that's going to be a hell of a task considering that you probably didn't do so hot in your pre-reqs. At least it sounds like you've got clinical experience though.

So while it is doable, it's really not something you want to do unless you're so intense about medicine that you'd do anything to become a physician.

I was premed when I first entered college but I did horrible my first semester. My transcript does show gradual improvement but I put medicine out of my mind because I just felt like I wouldn't make it. However, I realized that medicine is what I want to do and I don't mind going out of my way. Is there any procedures or steps you can recommend for me after I graduate? I don't mind working or taking extra classes. I've been told I should pursue a second bachelors as well. What is your opinion on that?

I was premed when I first entered college but I did horrible my first semester. My transcript does show gradual improvement but I put medicine out of my mind because I just felt like I wouldn't make it. However, I realized that medicine is what I want to do and I don't mind going out of my way. Is there any procedures or steps you can recommend for me after I graduate? I don't mind working or taking extra classes. I've been told I should pursue a second bachelors as well. What is your opinion on that?

You could look into post-bacc or like you said a second bachelor's.. post-bacc may be more cost-friendly, raise that GPA up to at least 3.0, get a killer MCAT and possibly then, you could get accepted to a SMP, and then you can have a shot at MD or DO.. also, you'll want to stick with all your EC's during all of that, and even add some if possible.. lots of clinical exp, volunteering, meaningful stuff too not just things you think will look "good". That's what I would do at least.. I've done MAJOR gpa repair and it's still not a great GPA for me... but much better and trust, it takes a long long time to fix..so think long and hard before you jump into it. Oh, and you can't afford to get anything less than an A if you are doing gpa repair, so keep that in mind.