Don't know where else to turn - please hear me out, I need honest advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfmiranda18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm new as a member (but I've been a longtime reader); I really need some advice or honesty about my situation; I don't know where else to go with this…

I've been out of school for about 2 years; I spent three years at UNC-Chapel Hill (I'm an OOS from NYC Metro Area) - I had to come back to NY to be my grandmother's caregiver (It's only my Mom and I in the family and my Step-Dad is ill, so my Mom has to pay attention to his needs…)

This responsibility is not new for me - at 11 years old I had to help out with my grandfather (diagnosed with Alzheimer's; passed away in 2003) and my grandmother battled cancer while I was applying to undergrad schools - one of the reasons I chose UNC, was to give myself a break and learn to take care of myself.

This was not successful, I had to travel back and forth from NC to NY (my grandmother beat the cancer, but the chemo took a lot out of her, in 2009 she was hospitalized 4 times; 2x for pneumonia and one for emergency surgery and post-surgical infection - she came out of them alright and she's now stable at home); balancing schoolwork and everything else at the same time.

My grades are basically all over the place - I have cGPA of 2.997 and a few W's; I withdrew from UNC in Fall 2009.

During these two years, I've been a caregiver, joined a caregiver support group and I am proudly using my life experience as a hotline counselor volunteer at the Medicare Rights Center (a NYC non-profit that helps seniors understand Medicare and empower them to exercise their rights).

I am ready to start again with my studies - I want to transfer to an NYC area School (because of finances, I am looking at CUNY City or CUNY Hunter).

I know that my grades are horrible and it's going to be a long road for me, but I just want to comment that being doctor has been my dream from the time I shadowed a OBGYN at the age of 13 (my mom works in a hospital as a radiology clerk - she has a lot of MD friends); I seek this profession because I want to be a healer AND advocate for patients that can't help themselves - I know this sounds boastful, but I feel that no amount of research, shadowing, etc can come close to what I've seen, experienced and lived through - I want a chance to be considered and I am willing to do whatever it takes.

Any additional advice on what approaches to take would be MORE than helpful/appreciated - sorry this is a long post.

Members don't see this ad.

*NOTE: let me know if this is the correct board to post - I am 22 years old, but I've been out of school for 2 years (don't know if non-trad is based on age or something else...)

there are other routes besides MD or DO if your grades do not improve by much. PA route might be a godo thing to look into.

But then again do well on MCAT and if you really show those experiences on your personal statement you might have a chance at a few DO schools or out of country MD schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this sounds boastful, but I feel that no amount of research, shadowing, etc can come close to what I've seen, experienced and lived through.

Yep, it does.

Regardless, you have lots of class left to take. Make A's. Do well on the MCAT. Write a great PS about what you saw/learned as a caregiver and how that made you who you are without making excuses for your prior bad grades. There aren't any secrets to it. Understand that superior performance in your classes moving forward will be key, however; you aren't the only primary caregiver who had to balance that with school, many balancing those needs while making better grades. You have to show growth and aptitude to succeed as the person you are now. Again, these aren't dark secrets. Best of luck.

Yep, it does.

Regardless, you have lots of class left to take. Make A's. Do well on the MCAT. Write a great PS about what you saw/learned as a caregiver and how that made you who you are without making excuses for your prior bad grades. There aren't any secrets to it. Understand that superior performance in your classes moving forward will be key, however; you aren't the only primary caregiver who had to balance that with school, many balancing those needs while making better grades. You have to show growth and aptitude to succeed as the person you are now. Again, these aren't dark secrets. Best of luck.

Basically this.

If you do very well in all of your classes from now on as well as on the MCAT, you're going to have a great app. Your cGPA may get you screened from a lot of the more selective schools, but if you're smart and driven enough to ace everything from here on out you'll have a good shot.

A couple things to ask and consider:

How many credits do you need to graduate? If you got all A's, which you CAN do, what would your gpa be at that point? If it's not above, say a 3.3 (or whatever arbitrary # you want to graduate with), consider extending your undergraduate and NOT applying for graduation. Do another year or so to boost your GPA while taking a good, rigorous course load that will not only impress adcoms, but also prepare you better for the MCAT and med school. Of course, continue to flesh out your application in the other areas; try to get on a research team, maybe find an international health internship or study abroad (not just to party in another country), etc. Just use your time as diligently as possible working towards your goal.

Finally take it slow, and work hard. There's no race becoming a doctor, and many of us have some grade repair we need to do. There's plenty of success stories of low GPA'ers, so don't let your GPA trouble you too much at this point. There is still a way.

Good luck.

What they said^

Also... figure out which school you want to go to. Be reasonable. Then arrange a sit down meeting with their dean of admissions (or the like), and tell them what is going on. Be explicit. Ask questions about what you could do to be competitive from where you are. Play it right and keep in contact with them. I think if you do this right it will be by far your best bet at getting in.

I know this sounds boastful, but I feel that no amount of research, shadowing, etc can come close to what I've seen, experienced and lived through

This does sound boastful. Say this in a medical school interview and you can kiss your chances goodbye.

With 42,000+ people applying to medical school every year, there are lots of people who have been in your situation and they still did research, shadowing, and have great grades and MCAT.

Think of it this way: would you rather have just cake or just icing? Focus on all the normal qualifications for medical school. Then your personal story will be icing on the cake rather than a plate of just icing.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice - believe me, you don't know how much it helped; and please excuse the emotional tone of the post; looking back on it, I was a bit TOO boastful and arrogant (I'm just frustrated and feeling a bit of self-doubt).

Thanks Again :)

What everyone else said is basically correct. But I also wanted to give you a different perspective. People with lower GPAs have gotten into medical school (MD and DO)- go check out the low gpa success story thread. If medicine is really your dream, go for it. As far as GPA, I believe the trend is highly indicative of your ability as a medical student, so your grade going forward will be very important. Also give some thought on how you would handle being called back to be a caregiver for an ailing family member as a medical student should this happen. I am sure medical schools would like to know that this is not a recurring challenge you will have to face. Best of luck.