Don't know where to begin! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tan321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year Canadian student (studying BSc. Psych with a minor in Neuroscience) and I am planning to apply to Australia for medical school. I have no idea where to begin or how the application process is or what my GPA should be. My questions are:

1) Is it easier to get in to than Canadian Universities?
2) Is the MCAT required (or other entrance exams)?
3) What are the pre-reqs?
4) Is it worth it? I would be willing to live/work in Australia.
5) I heard there is a 6 year program that I can apply to and I wouldn't have to finish undergrad. Is this correct?
5) Anything you feel I need to know/any Universities that you suggest I apply to/any to avoid like a plague.

Any information would be much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year Canadian student (studying BSc. Psych with a minor in Neuroscience) and I am planning to apply to Australia for medical school. I have no idea where to begin or how the application process is or what my GPA should be. My questions are:

1) Is it easier to get in to than Canadian Universities?
2) Is the MCAT required (or other entrance exams)?
3) What are the pre-reqs?
4) Is it worth it? I would be willing to live/work in Australia.
5) I heard there is a 6 year program that I can apply to and I wouldn't have to finish undergrad. Is this correct?
5) Anything you feel I need to know/any Universities that you suggest I apply to/any to avoid like a plague.

The majority of medical schools in Australia are now 4 year postgraduate degrees. I believe that the 1 or 2 that remain as undergraduate programs are strictly for domestic students but I could be wrong about that. Thus, I would worry about finishing your degree first before thinking about this next step.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Is it easier to get in to than Canadian Universities? minimum required most schools 2.7
2) Is the MCAT required (or other entrance exams)? Not for Monash
3) What are the pre-reqs? most schools doesn't have except for Melbourne, Queensland has recommended courses I believe. Check Oztrekk or studies abroad.com
4) Is it worth it? I would be willing to live/work in Australia. Absolutely matching rate to Canada is roughly 63% as per CARMS. Irrespective of all this talk on Internship crisis, a lot of Canadians have matched here , USA or have decided to stay back in Aussie.
5) I heard there is a 6 year program that I can apply to and I wouldn't have to finish undergrad. Is this correct? James Cook University, Monash, UNSW .
5) Anything you feel I need to know/any Universities that you suggest I apply to/any to avoid like a plague. All Aussie schools are pretty good in my opinion.

I think the answers above probably tell you how it is. Let me know if I can be of any additional help
Lyndal from University of Wollongong