Other OT-Related Information Don't know who to ask for LOR...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cindylu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have good relationships with 2 OTs (one of which who also was my instructor for an intro OT class.) I just don't know who to ask for a third letter. Should I ask another OT who has only known me for one month, OR my old medical terminology professor who doesn't know me well (though I did get over 100% in the course), OR a teacher I've worked with for 4 months in an early childhood intervention clinic (the teacher does not have a master's degree, she's also very young ~25)?

I'm worried that having all the letters come from OTs would hurt me, since it would lack any professionals outside of OT. Should I just wait another year to apply, to create another relationship with a professor? I graduated from undergrad last year, but have one prereq remaining this Fall. I appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, most schools like to see a LOR from a professor. It shows your abilities to succeed academically and perform at the graduate level. So I think that's your best bet, even if you aren't super close with them.

Reactions: 1 user
I have good relationships with 2 OTs (one of which who also was my instructor for an intro OT class.) I just don't know who to ask for a third letter. Should I ask another OT who has only known me for one month, OR my old medical terminology professor who doesn't know me well (though I did get over 100% in the course), OR a teacher I've worked with for 4 months in an early childhood intervention clinic (the teacher does not have a master's degree, she's also very young ~25)?

I'm worried that having all the letters come from OTs would hurt me, since it would lack any professionals outside of OT. Should I just wait another year to apply, to create another relationship with a professor? I graduated from undergrad last year, but have one prereq remaining this Fall. I appreciate any insight.
I would try to make your third reference someone other than an OT, to give it some variety. I would either try to find someone at work or try to get one from a professor. When I applied I had one letter from an OT and two professional LOR. I don't think I would wait a year in attempt to create a relationship with another professor, what happens if you don't? I would say find someone either a professor or someone from your profession and have them write you a letter. You can do this! Best of Luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Work or professor, especially since you have two from OTs. Do you have any OT unrelated experience (volunteer, church, former employers) you could find someone to work something out for ya?

I second a professor. If you did really well in a class, it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe go in person to speak to him/her. And if you have a copy of your resume or your application essay, you can include that with your request.

I would say a professor too, but the teacher from the early childhood intervention clinic sounds pretty valid. She can convey your work skills, however, academics is also an important detail in a letter.