Don't understand this MCAT practice question :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAgirlMx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At constant pressure, the ratio between the volume expansion of a mole of gas with a high Cp to that of a mole of gas with a low Cp for a given heat input will be

a) greater than 1
b) less than 1
c) equal to 1

equations given:
Q= nCp delta T

equations that come to mind:

since Pressure and moles of gas are constant, Charles Law : V1/T1=V2/T2

Im not understanding why the answer to this question is "b-Less than one"

I would really appreciate the help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

At constant pressure, the ratio between the volume expansion of a mole of gas with a high Cp to that of a mole of gas with a low Cp for a given heat input will be

a) greater than 1
b) less than 1
c) equal to 1

equations given:
Q= nCp delta T

Just rearrange the given equation and solve for n (which I think is moles). you will see that Cp ends up in the denominator. Therefore, If Cp is high, n will be smaller than if Cp was low.. the ratio of moles between the two scenarios would then be less than 1

Just rearrange the given equation and solve for n (which I think is moles). you will see that Cp ends up in the denominator. Therefore, If Cp is high, n will be smaller than if Cp was low.. the ratio of moles between the two scenarios would then be less than 1
I assumed that moles was constant because it says one mole to one mole?

With three answer choices and a topic I cannot find in the AAMC list, I'm not sure you're doing a realistic MCAT question.

a) greater than 1
b) less than 1
c) equal to 1

equations given:
Q= nCp delta T

You're on the right track with Charles' law. However you're given heat and not temperature in the problem set up. What you'll want to do is solve for delta T in the given equation:
delta T =Q/(nCp)

Recall that we can also write Charles law as
delta V/delta T= k (*see below if you don't believe me, since this version seems to be provided relatively rarely according to a quick Google search)
Therefore:
(delta V)*n*Cp/Q = k
This means that Cp and delta V are indirectly proportional at a given number of moles and heat input. So a higher Cp results in a lower delta V. Therefore the first gas has a smaller delta V than the second, and the ratio between the two will be less than one.

* from Charles' law
V/T= k
Therefore V(final)=kT(final) and V(initial)=kT(initial).
Subtracting from both sides, we have:
V(final)-V(initial)=kT(final)-kT(initial)
So delta V = k (delta T).