DOs, ACGME and Resolution 42

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBlueBlazer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried to read old threads about this, but haven't really found the info I'm looking for - any help from DOs who have gone through this sometime recently would be appreciated.

I'm a DO PGY-1 at an ACGME residency program outside of the Res 42 states, but could see myself wanting to work in one in the future. 2 questions:

1. If I get certified through the ACGME/ABMS route, am I still unable to get a license in these states without getting the AOA's blessing?

2. My residency program has no elective time first year, and our curriculum won't fit with the AOA's requirements for the PGY-1 year - no OB until 2nd year, no gen IM, no gen surgery - though we do have a month of trauma. Is there any hope that they will still allow my year to count?

Previous threads have said to just contact the AOA, and I plan to do that, I just want to have some things lined up and know what I'm dealing with before trying to reason/bargain/beg with them.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This is frustrating. As is the AOL when you call and inquire.

I started intern year in 2007. Had the clinical requirements... But did not do an osteopathic lecture or teaching (like there's time in the EM curric) could not go to an osteopathic conference! There was no time and no money, required to attend AAEM so where's the time off and money to go to AOECP?!
I really do want to be able to practice in certain states...actually just for a possible fellowship. I didn't know it at the time or perhaps I would have tried to fudge it or something. Oh well.

As far as I understand this rule, if you graduate from an ACGME accredited program then you don't have to worry about it.

However, if you only complete a prelim year and you don't complete a residency program, then you need to do the prop 42 stuff since you can still obtain a medical license this way.

Long story short: complete a residency program and you will have no issues.

That help?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I understand this rule, if you graduate from an ACGME accredited program then you don't have to worry about it.

However, if you only complete a prelim year and you don't complete a residency program, then you need to do the prop 42 stuff since you can still obtain a medical license this way.

Long story short: complete a residency program and you will have no issues.

That help?

Totally incorrect. I'm in an acgme program To get an unrestricted license in certain states, you have you have your first year of residency approved by the aoa as meeting the same requirements as a traditional internship. This included doing an elective in family practice and doing either an omm presentation in ground runds or going to a national conference and sending in proof and letters to the headquarters in Chicago. I just did all of this a year ago. This is the process for Pennsylvania

Completely antiquated crap!
I understand that on the state level it's a a constitution thing...but the AOA should approve if requested.
They are in fact loosing membership BC of this.