DO's and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

moniagrl

hej any DO's out there with the HPSP scholarship? i am debating whether to do the Army HPSP or not. any suggestions or info would be nice.
me si very confused:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

NOt worth doing unless you get a at least a 3 year scholarship. I do mine witht eh army, it is frustarting at times, lost paperwork, things like that, but I do like it.

My only advice is this, do not do it just for the money! It is a great financial agreement but it really is a committment to the military. They do own you when you graduate, so unless you are willing to committ the the military, don't do it.

Otherwise it has its benefits, you do get your required textbooks paid for, your health insurance paid for, tuition, stipend. But you will have a lot of time to pay back tot hem when you are done.

Just keep in mind, they try to make it sound simple, like you only7 are going to owe them four years back. but lets say you doa residency in a surgical field, placed like Walter Reed make those residencies 6 years because tthey require you to do a year of research. So since you did a six year program, you'd owe them back six years because the deal is, 4 years or the time you do residency, whichever is longer.

So after four years of med school, six years of residency, and six years of payback time, you'd be pretty old before you would be allowed to leave the military.

I am not complaining, but just pointing out that it is a committment aned will take up your time so you have to sure 100% sure you want to do it, don't just sign up for the money!

bustbones26, thanks that helps. what year are you in schoool?

i like the millitary and have no problem working for them but i am worried about residency choice.

is it true you can be forced to take a residency you dont want?

:D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a third year. As far as being forced to take a residency, the answer is, yes, and no.

I will give you an example. Lets say you want to do a residency in neurology. Well, the army only has two residency programs in neurology. When you apply for residency though, they require you to choose at least five programs and rank them in order of your preference. So in the case of neurology, you'd of course pick the two neuro programs and rank them number 1 and number, but you still would be required to choose something for your third, fourth, and fifth preferences. Lets say you choose internal medicine as your 3-5 choices. If you did not get your neuro residency, you'd match into internal medicine, and in that case, yes, you'd be forced to do internal medicine instead of neuro.

This should not discourage you though. When you apply for residency with the army, the utmost important thing is to state your career goal on your residency application. IN the above example, if you matched into a program you did not want, but stated that your goal was to be a neurologist, they will consider allowing you to go do this residency at a civilian facility.

Also, you'f most likely have to do a transitional year anyways. AFter your transitional year, if a PGY-2 spot opened up, it would be up for grabs by you.

Lastly, if you do a transitional year only, and do not get a pgy-2 spot into the program you desire, you can be a GMO or flilght surgeon until one of those spots opens up. The best part of this is, the tour as GMO or flgiht surgeon counts toward your payback.

So there is plenty of opportunity. My advice is, go army, they have to most residency programs to offer and more spots than AF or Navy.

read my previous posts about the military....Don't do it for the money. Do it because you want to be in the military.

Originally posted by bustbones26
I am a third year. As far as being forced to take a residency, the answer is, yes, and no.

I will give you an example. Lets say you want to do a residency in neurology. Well, the army only has two residency programs in neurology. When you apply for residency though, they require you to choose at least five programs and rank them in order of your preference. So in the case of neurology, you'd of course pick the two neuro programs and rank them number 1 and number, but you still would be required to choose something for your third, fourth, and fifth preferences. Lets say you choose internal medicine as your 3-5 choices. If you did not get your neuro residency, you'd match into internal medicine, and in that case, yes, you'd be forced to do internal medicine instead of neuro.

It is current Army policy to give a residency deferral if an a match applicant is unable to match in the specialty of their choice. This is why you list you specialty choice on your Army match list. Thus, you should not be forced into a specialty you don't want. Have I seen this policy in writing? No. But I have been advised that it is policy by many army folks (not recruiters) including several of the program directors.

On another point. If you did a six year general surgery residency, your payback would only be increased to five years because internship is obligation neutral -- that is, it neither incurrs additional obligation nor satisfies previous obligation.

Ed

Originally posted by edmadison
It is current Army policy to give a residency deferral if an a match applicant is unable to match in the specialty of their choice.

that is interesting.....

i was under the impression that you have to specify 5 residency sites.....and if u mtch at any of them u have 2 take the millitary residency

this said, some residencies only have 1 or 2 residency locations so u have 2 list another residency and/or transitional year

so what happens if u match at the other residency (one u list as 3rd or 4th choice)

HELP PLEASE.........:confused:

Well, as stated before, it is very important to let the army know what your career goal is. This way, if you do not match into the program you want, they will most likely allow you to do it at a civilian institution.

As edmadison said in his post, nowhere can you find this policy written anywhere, but I know people this has happened to and they army is flexible. I will give you two examples that I know of.

I was once told a a guy who was offered a pediatric urology residency at Johns Hopkins. The army was not about to ruin his chance to go to a place like johns hopkins, so they deferred his army residency.

I also know a girl personally that did not match into pyschiatry, but she did match into internal medicine, because internal med was her 3-5 choices. But keep in mind, she stated that psychiatry was her career goal on her residency application. So she did apply to civillian programs and was about to have a deferal approved; however, at the last minute, the army started some new program in psychiatry somewhere, called her up out of the blue and offered it to her, so she took it.

The whole point, stating your career goal on your application is the most important thing you can do!!!! If you do not get what you want in the army, they will give you a deferal to a civilian program.

as edmadison states, you cannot find this polilcy written anywhere, and from what I have read in writing, no deferals are ever guaranteed and are subject to approval. But honestly, I have not ever heard of the army standing in anybodies way of getting what they want.

You should not let this stop you from taking an HPSP scholarship, the army in particular has more residency programs than the other two.

thanks a lot. really appreciate your input

i was just confused because i read somewhere else that deferements are only given when hell freezes over, rethaws, and then freezes over again :smuggrin:

i am up for the january committee that meets on teh 13th. i really really hope i get the scholarship

any ideas what info should be in the LOR's? some of the people writing me LOR's were asking....:D

Interesting posts. I've been active duty in military medicine now for almost 11 years, and have been involved in the residency selection process which is tri-service.

Just be aware that you will only match into a residency of your choice if there is projected need for that particular specialty at the time when you finish your training.

Meaning that the military has only so many billets for each specialty, and when they are filled, they won't train anymore people like with a deferrment.

There will be exceptions for some....if they know the right people, or if they are lucky, but my motto is plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy with what you get.

the LOR's I had for my HPSP selection mostly state character. Hard work ethic, dedication, yadda yadda yadda. All the good stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
mmm i just found out that all the people wrote my LOR's already. when i needed them 4 med school it took them forever, instead of 4 days

isint it interesting how people respond to the millitary faster??:smuggrin:

anyways, anyone know how promotions work??( from luitendant to capitan to major , ect)???

AF chain of command (same as army):

2nd Lt
1st Lt
Capt
Maj
Lt Col
Col
Brig Gen
Maj Gen
Lt Gen
Gen

In HPSP you will be a 2nd Lt. Once you graduate, you'll rank up to Capt. After that, AF and Army differ somewhat... not sure exactly how quickly army promotes.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention actual promotions processes. In the AF after a specified time period, one will be "in the zone" for promotions. When you've met minimum time requirements at your current rank, you will be eligible for promotion. Usually, you will have to submit a "package" (CV, app, other pertinent paperwork) to a promotions committee for review, and the committee decides whether or not to promote. In the AF, this depends somewhat on how many positions for each rank are available during that promotion cycle and your competitveness to achieve that rank. From what I understand, it is somewhat easier to rank up in the army because the total force is larger, therefore they tend to have more slots to fill.

If someone thinks this is incorrect, please amend my statements.

Originally posted by cdreed
I forgot to mention actual promotions processes. In the AF after a specified time period, one will be "in the zone" for promotions. When you've met minimum time requirements at your current rank, you will be eligible for promotion. Usually, you will have to submit a "package" (CV, app, other pertinent paperwork) to a promotions committee for review, and the committee decides whether or not to promote. In the AF, this depends somewhat on how many positions for each rank are available during that promotion cycle and your competitveness to achieve that rank. From what I understand, it is somewhat easier to rank up in the army because the total force is larger, therefore they tend to have more slots to fill.

If someone thinks this is incorrect, please amend my statements.

i'm pretty sure you're right. the Army medical dept is tremendously top-heavy with rank, lol.

if i remember correctly though on the promotions board there will be only one medical officer-- the other two are line officers. meaning they'll look at PT scores and "hu-ah" ness when promoting. :)

My recruiter said that one is often promoted to Major about a year before they get out...its kinda a way for the army to try to convince you to stay. He said most people he knew were Majors when they finished their commitments (If they did residency with the army). Likewise we said if you reup and are well respected it isn't that usuall to get promoted again at the end of your next commitment.

will the millitary pay for a dual degree???? or will they just pay for the medical degree???

mmm nobody seems 2 wanna answer my question...:(

me is so sad now............

anything for a hot girl is my motto...

Not really is the answer. You can get a four year scholarship which would cover your last four years of a dual degree. The rest of the degree would have to be paid on your own (they usually take 5-6 total years I believe) and it may add time to your committment, although I doubt it.

yippie a reply
hehe....:D

my dual degree can be dome in 4 years easily. wonder how i get them 2 pay 4 both though

sigh so many questions and no evident answers can be foudn on the net. they sure hide the itsy bitsy details

Hi Monica!

Here is an AF specific answer to your query. I am sure that the Army has a written regulation somewhere as well.

Check out page 6 on the following link.

http://ci.afit.edu/docs/afi41-110.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cyndi

i wish they would hurry up with the decision about teh scholarship. it is supposed 2 be out this week and i have been on pins and needles all week since i really need 2 know like now so i can plan where 2 live and if i should take classes 4 my MHA degree earlier. sigh

anyone heard anything about that(Army HPSP) decision yet??