DO's and License Plates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDFTIGER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can DO's get a "DO" written on their license plates like MD's can get an "MD" on their plates?

Members don't see this ad.

Can DO's get a "DO" written on their license plates like MD's can get an "MD" on their plates?

Good question! Dunno! But, it would probably only act as a secret handshake amongst DOs, lol!

You probably can. I've seen all kinds of personalized plates.

Don't do it. Most people will go "DO what?" and you'll make yourself a target for every lawsuit happy scam artist on the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I gots to get me that A55M4N vanity plate if I go into proctology :)

No because, at least here in NY State, MD are the initials for a physician on the license plates. So, if you are a DO your license plates have MD. I know many DO's who have that on their cars.

When you go to the DMV and show your license you get those plates. I don't believe that your state license writes MD or DO, just your name.

in my opinion thats just asking for your car to be broken into and also lets everyone know that if they want to sue you over a car accident that you probably have money to go after...

in my opinion thats just asking for your car to be broken into and also lets everyone know that if they want to sue you over a car accident that you probably have money to go after...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :idea:

the beamer itself might do that.... the docs getting these plates are not going to be driving old chevy's...

the beamer itself might do that.... the docs getting these plates are not going to be driving old chevy's...

So no DO plates on my Chevette? Dagnabit!!!1:smuggrin:

actually, i know a doc with an old buick who has physician plates...i think many docs of the older generations (but certainly not all) have conservative cars.

i agree with the statement about cars being broken into, or sought out for lawsuits. but i also know of a doctor with those plates who's gotten out of tickets with some help from them. i guess its a double edged sword. not something i'm interested in anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, i know a doc with an old buick who has physician plates...i think many docs of the older generations (but certainly not all) have conservative cars.

i agree with the statement about cars being broken into, or sought out for lawsuits. but i also know of a doctor with those plates who's gotten out of tickets with some help from them. i guess its a double edged sword. not something i'm interested in anyway!
I'm sure your medical license could accomplish the same thing ALA Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut.

In NY where I'm from both MDs and D.Os get MD on their plates. I work with the guy who is a D.O. He's got "MD" plate on his 4runner. So they don't all drive BMWs. There are plenty of honda civic, and beat up chevy's with MD plates. Ppl get it b/c it's easier to park in certain areas of NYC. So that should tell you that medicine is not a guarantee of wealth, and could be quite the opposite. But yeah, you are asking for a break in. The junkies think you've got the "works" and syringes.

Both my uncles are orthopedic surgeons, one drives a Chevy Suburban and the other a Nissan SUV (Cannt recall the name its their larger version), and most of the physicians I shadowed from resident to seasoned attending drove standard cars, heck my grad advisor drives a flashier car than any doc I know (suped up Mustang Cobra) Just kind of an oddity I noticed, more scientists with 'rich guy' cars than docs.

That is stupid! I don't want my license plates to say MD if I am a DO.:mad::smuggrin: Who can I complain to? Got to love NY State.:rolleyes:

That is stupid! I don't want my license plates to say MD if I am a DO.:mad::smuggrin: Who can I complain to? Got to love NY State.:rolleyes:

DoctorMom DO ... DoctorMom DO WHAT??!?! Oh yea, time to rob her clean ... :smuggrin:

eh, im good with the standard plates, im not into the "oh look, im a doctor" thing ...

DoctorMom DO ... DoctorMom DO WHAT??!?! Oh yea, time to rob her clean ... :smuggrin:

eh, im good with the standard plates, im not into the "oh look, im a doctor" thing ...

LOL! Oh no, don't take my chickens!!!:scared: :laugh:

LOL! Oh no, don't take my chickens!!!:scared: :laugh:

Don't you know the person with more than three hens is the richest person in town?:D

Heck you plan on having three hens, a rooster, a couple of horses, a pack of oxen, a goat AND a donkey.

Forget the DO plates! You better get a double barrel and a good sheep dog if you wanna keep folks from pillfering your lifestock. (The basset hound ain't gonna cut it!):laugh:

Just exercise your right to Option B, that being, grab a waterproof sharpie and cross out the MD and put a DO sticker above it. There is also Option C, print a customized sticker/banner which says "DO" or something along those lines for your bumper. You know how they have those "Baby ON Board" stickers, get one for a "DO on Board".

Side note, those baby on board stickers are stupid, do people actually think a reckless driver will suddenly obey traffic rules b/c he/she sees a baby on board sticker...."This is channel 4 news, there appears a man traveling at 100+mph, look at him evading traffic....wait a moment, whats this he's....he's slowing down it appears.....PRESS--> Sir why did you slow down all of a sudden....SIR---> I saw a baby on board sticker

LOL! You two are both too funny! OK, I will get one of those Sharpie permanent markers. As for the dog, I think our 180 pound English Mastiff will suffice.;) :D

Almost all the clinician faculty at NYCOM, including the DO's have MD on their plates.

I think I would get a MD, DO, or physician plate. I'm going into medicine for the right reasons, but I think once I became a doc I wouldn't mind letting people know what I have accomplished. Maybe it's a negative personality trait, maybe not.

I think I would get a MD, DO, or physician plate. I'm going into medicine for the right reasons, but I think once I became a doc I wouldn't mind letting people know what I have accomplished. Maybe it's a negative personality trait, maybe not.

:thumbup: Me too! But, I want mine to say DO!:smuggrin: :D

Awww man, I didn't know DOs get the MD plates in NY...that's the whole reason why I'm going Pre-allo!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!
:D

Nah seriously though, I actually did look on the NY DMV website before and noticed they didn't have DO plates. I just figured DOs didn't have plates in NY, didn't realize that DOs get MD plates (just because it seems kinda bizzare).

Oh well, hopefully my single allopathic interview is enough to get me in so I can feel that my license plate matches my actual credentials lol.

But hey if you're a DO who wants DO plates in NY, you could probably buy a summer home on the jersey shore or something and just get jersey DO plates =)

Those doctor plates actually do come in handy in NY though, since the blocks near hospitals usually have "PHYSICIAN ONLY" parking signs, so you need MD plates to park there.

And yeah the plates won't make people sue you for more if you're already driving that MB S600 lol.

Awww man, I didn't know DOs get the MD plates in NY...that's the whole reason why I'm going Pre-allo!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!
:D

Nah seriously though, I actually did look on the NY DMV website before and noticed they didn't have DO plates. I just figured DOs didn't have plates in NY, didn't realize that DOs get MD plates (just because it seems kinda bizzare).

Oh well, hopefully my single allopathic interview is enough to get me in so I can feel that my license plate matches my actual credentials lol.

But hey if you're a DO who wants DO plates in NY, you could probably buy a summer home on the jersey shore or something and just get jersey DO plates =)

Those doctor plates actually do come in handy in NY though, since the blocks near hospitals usually have "PHYSICIAN ONLY" parking signs, so you need MD plates to park there.

And yeah the plates won't make people sue you for more if you're already driving that MB S600 lol.

liked i'd slum it with a 6-series :rolleyes:

:laugh:

in nj, the plates just say "physician" under the numbers, where it usually says "garden state".

http://www.aaroads.com/license_plates/images/nj-nzv-97y.jpg

the only choices are physician, chiropractor, dentist or podiatrist.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Professionals.htm

although it seems like anyone could just go get one ;)

if you click the second link and look closely you'll see that in NJ you actually can get DO on your plate (see under physician "DO####"). We have a couple docs here at SOM who have the DO plate.

-J

while we are talking about plates...
this was a dentist's plate my friend saw the other day----> "I DRILL U"

i know it doesn't relate to pre-osteo forum but i just thought it was funny:laugh:

while we are talking about plates...
this was a dentist's plate my friend saw the other day----> "I DRILL U"

i know it doesn't relate to pre-osteo forum but i just thought it was funny:laugh:

LOL! It is!:laugh:

didnt know it was a DO symbol .. must be photoshopped.

It's not photoshopped. The EMT symbol is called "the star of life" and here is proof--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_Life

However the symbol within the geomteric figure is the DO symbol. The D.O. emblem is the Aesculapius', the Greek god of healing wrapped around a rod--> http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=faq_cons#dosymbol

I drill you
HAHAHA thats better than a proctologist with plates "A55M4N" (from Seinfeld).

I saw a vanity plate that said Zen MD. Which is kind of funny if you think about it, considering the contradiction. There's nothing Zen about a vanity plate, right?

I drill you

:laugh: Nice......

One of my anesthesiologist friends has a plate that reads "ISED8U" and one of the RT's I work with has one that says "IN2BATEU" (I intubate you). Needless to say I don't see why anyone would want to advertise their profession on their license plate, but more power to you if you do.

Basically this will tell people who to rob or who's car may have valuable in it.
Or is this just so your mom can say.. yeah... s/he is so good that they put Physician on his plates.

Go to NH, it is so cheap to have plates there.. everyone has them.

If I was to get one, it would say "I Heart U" or "PUCKOFF"

hmm my dad is a primary care doctor (internist) and he drives a VW lime green beetle!

Basically this will tell people who to rob or who's car may have valuable in it.
Or is this just so your mom can say.. yeah... s/he is so good that they put Physician on his plates.

Go to NH, it is so cheap to have plates there.. everyone has them.

If I was to get one, it would say "I Heart U" or "PUCKOFF"
My personal favorites:
"DRU6MULE" ("drug mule") This was actually a buddy of mine's license plate until he got tired of being pulled over on a regular basis (his record: 3 times in 24 hrs)
"71H57A3" (Look at it backwards)

I recall seeing a florida plate that had A55 RGY on it. the orange on the plate took the place of the O....

I recall seeing a florida plate that had A55 RGY on it. the orange on the plate took the place of the O....
FloridaWang.jpg

Both my uncles are orthopedic surgeons, one drives a Chevy Suburban and the other a Nissan SUV (Cannt recall the name its their larger version), and most of the physicians I shadowed from resident to seasoned attending drove standard cars, heck my grad advisor drives a flashier car than any doc I know (suped up Mustang Cobra) Just kind of an oddity I noticed, more scientists with 'rich guy' cars than docs.

True in many cases.

I dont know...after 14 hours in the hospital I just want to get home.

A nice car can make that drive more enjoyable...but I dont think I want to spend $1000/month (or more) on a car payment when my hands spend more in someones abdomen than they do on a steering wheel.

Now...if I were going to be a radiologist.... ;)

True in many cases.

I dont know...after 14 hours in the hospital I just want to get home.

A nice car can make that drive more enjoyable...but I dont think I want to spend $1000/month (or more) on a car payment when my hands spend more in someones abdomen than they do on a steering wheel.

Now...if I were going to be a radiologist.... ;)

since you are pursuing the surgical residency, are you participating in both MD and DO residency matches? Also, what was your study schedule like for the board exams? gracias.

since you are pursuing the surgical residency, are you participating in both MD and DO residency matches? Also, what was your study schedule like for the board exams? gracias.

I only applied through the DO match. There are many very strong AOA and dually accredited surgical programs, which is a good thing because general surgery seems to be increasing in popularity recently.

I studied on my own for both Step 1 and Step 2 of boards. It takes dedication, review books that you like and a little bit of insanity but I got the job done.

I only applied through the DO match. There are many very strong AOA and dually accredited surgical programs, which is a good thing because general surgery seems to be increasing in popularity recently.

I studied on my own for both Step 1 and Step 2 of boards. It takes dedication, review books that you like and a little bit of insanity but I got the job done.

which books did you find to be the best prep for the comlex exams?

which books did you find to be the best prep for the comlex exams?

I used First Aid and Step Up a bit.

But I am a big fan of the Boards and Wards series and the Blueprints series.

In fact, I think anything by blackwell publishing is pretty good.

I used First Aid and Step Up a bit.

But I am a big fan of the Boards and Wards series and the Blueprints series.

In fact, I think anything by blackwell publishing is pretty good.

JP, a quick question. What's considered a "good" Step I score (If you wanted to be competitive and have your option open for anything)? Step II?

I know 260 is the top score, but I was looking for number comparisons.

Thanks in advance.

600 for COMLEX and 230 for USMLE seem to be decent numbers that people shoot for.

600 for COMLEX and 230 for USMLE seem to be decent numbers that people shoot for.

what do you need to be competitive for allo surgical/radiology programs? >240?