DOs in Neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilsimi2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my last couple of years of med school here. I'm really interested in Neuro, but there are too few DO neuro programs. Could anyone- especially a DO who has matched into neuro- enlighten me on the competitiveness of allopathic neuro programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't be a problem getting a solid spot as a DO assuming your boards and letters are decent. I was able to get interviews at lots of top programs and have heard similar stories from others. Neuro isn't super-competitive...cast a wide net and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Top 10ish programs might be tough, but even they are not totally out of reach if you are a solid applicant. Don't let the degree limit you. If you have specific questions let me know, and try a search, I think this has been discussed before.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you apply with just your comlex scores?

I'm assuming that you're a resident in chicago? Can I ask, did you take just the comlex or both boards? Did you do your prelim year at the same institution as your residency? from what i understand, the new guidelines for DO residencies are that you complete your prelim year at the same institution as your residency. i don't know how things go if you apply to allopathic programs, though. thanks:)

I'm assuming that you're a resident in chicago? Can I ask, did you take just the comlex or both boards? Did you do your prelim year at the same institution as your residency? from what i understand, the new guidelines for DO residencies are that you complete your prelim year at the same institution as your residency. i don't know how things go if you apply to allopathic programs, though. thanks:)

Many allopathic programs are switching to categorical matches for neurology, meaning the intern year is done at the same institution. This really helps for saving money on the interview trail, not having to move again after one year, not having to stress about matching into a prelim program, and not having to get to know two hospital systems. Freida was not entirely correct about which programs offered categorical matches when I checked. When it came time to submit my application to ERAS, I found out more programs were offering (or requiring) this path than were listed on Freida. Of the 15 programs I applied to, 8 wound up offering a combined path.

Ok, I'm confused even after reading this thread. :confused: With the new osteopathic internship trends, what am I suppose to do if I want to apply to allopathic neurology program? Also, does anybody know a good source to find dual-accredited internship programs?
Thanks!!!

Ok, I'm confused even after reading this thread. :confused: With the new osteopathic internship trends, what am I suppose to do if I want to apply to allopathic neurology program? Also, does anybody know a good source to find dual-accredited internship programs?
Thanks!!!

Why do you want to apply to an allopathic program? What about OMM.

Why do you want to apply to an allopathic program? What about OMM.

I want to do research as well and none of the osteopathic neurology programs seem to be very strong in that regard...I still love OMM though:)

Thanks!!!

Free standing dually accredited internship are hard to find. I looked pretty hard last year when I was applying. Most dually accredited internships are linked to primary care residency programs, in an effort to attract DOs.

Free standing dually accredited internship are hard to find. I looked pretty hard last year when I was applying. Most dually accredited internships are linked to primary care residency programs, in an effort to attract DOs.

What kind of internship did you end up matching with?

What kind of internship did you end up matching with?

I matched at MSU where it is set up as an advanced spot, but you can elect to do your internship here as well. The program and the internship are dually accredited which solves all those problems. I elected to do my internship here. Good program, you should check it out.

If I had ended up doing matching at an ACGME internship I was planning to apply for resolution 42. I would think you'd have a pretty good case for getting the internship accredited by the AOA because of the paucity of neurology spots at AOA programs.

I matched at MSU where it is set up as an advanced spot, but you can elect to do your internship here as well. The program and the internship are dually accredited which solves all those problems. I elected to do my internship here. Good program, you should check it out.

If I had ended up doing matching at an ACGME internship I was planning to apply for resolution 42. I would think you'd have a pretty good case for getting the internship accredited by the AOA because of the paucity of neurology spots at AOA programs.

I was considering applying there, but I didn't quite understand how to go about it. Did you apply through the osteopathic or allopathic category on ERAS? Also, what designation is the internship listed under, I was having a hard time finding the one that is linked to the MSU neurology program.

Thanks for you help.

I was considering applying there, but I didn't quite understand how to go about it. Did you apply through the osteopathic or allopathic category on ERAS? Also, what designation is the internship listed under, I was having a hard time finding the one that is linked to the MSU neurology program.

Thanks for you help.

I sent you a PM