DO's in Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msenger69

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone keeps fussing about DO's going into ophthalmology. I think we DO's are just as competent if not more so than MD's. We learn much more sophisticated method of pateint interaction. If MD's are so smart they should all go into internal medicine and family practice where they can use their broad knowledge. Leave the "easier" specialties to us stupid DO's.

Members don't see this ad.

Msenger, thank you very much for you comments.

I would certainly say that only a very small minority of MD students have something against DO students. I for one, and most the folks on this board, believe there is no inherent incompetency of DO's. I would have absolutely no problem working with a DO ophthalmologist, or for that matter, seeing one as my own doc.

DO students, given the opportunity, can become just as skilled in any specialty as their MD counterparts. I think once you start residency, it's a whole new ballgame, and your skill as a physician evolves from the amount of work and study you put in to it, NOT the type of school you came from.

The factor limiting the successfullness in DO students' application to competetive specialties is NOT lack of intelligence or incompetence.

I'm sure you've noticed, if you read the posts on this forum, that DO's have met some resistance to gaining interview invitations. Maybe it is bias by certain program directors to choose what the know....MD. I really don't know what the barrier might be. It probably just takes time for people who know what DO's are all about to become PD's. If anyone can shed light on this, I'd love to put the issue to rest once and for all.

Your comment about the "easier specialties" is mostly unfounded, and I'm assuming you are speaking out of frustration. I don't think any one specialty is innately easier or harder than another. Each specialty has certain aspects that are difficult, and those that are easier. FP is probably a lot easier for someone who has great people skills and loves to listen. OPH is easier for people who like to work quickly and are inclined toward technical procedures and examinations. FP is probably brutally difficult for someone who loves OPH, such as myself....and I'd bet anyone who loves FP probably hates the OPH clinic.

At any rate, this is a very stressed out forum right now, so attempts to start DO vs MD flame wars should probably be postponed....let's say...indefinitely.

Geddy

Reactions: 1 user
I hear ya, Geddy..
Well stated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second you...very well stated Geddy.

One thing I can add to this is that I personally like DOs. Some DOs I've worked with in my 3rd year had some of the best bedside manner I've ever seen. Having said that, however, I don't like people who don't know what they're talking about, i.e. the original poster...

I wonder why no one has posted about MD's struggles trying to gain acceptance into the DO ophto residency programs. It would be an interesting discussion to take up, maybe in the near......NEVER. This topic is starting to get annoying and props again to Geddy for summing up the thoughts of the rest of us.

Amen to all the above comments....I am tired of the flame war as well, I think this subject has been beaten to death. With that said, I think that the ophtho forum here has not only been a good resource for information, but also support. Good luck everyone with the upcoming interviews.

The above posts are only politically correct statement.

hmmm... icewoman seemed to have changed her name to oscarshi

there are a very limited number of do residencies, look in iserson's book, i think it says so in there, i believe about 20 or so spots.

There are 9 DO ophtho programs in the country....most take 1-2 residents per year. Of the 9, only 2 are IMHO worth even considering.

I'm a DO student who would like to pursue an Ophthalmology residence. I don't mind matching in either AOA or ACGME residency as long as I get a spot. My COMLEX is 629 and USMLE STEP 1 is 232. Any ideas whether I meet the average competitive Ophthalmology scores? I don't have any pubs.

I'm a DO student who would like to pursue an Ophthalmology residence. I don't mind matching in either AOA or ACGME residency as long as I get a spot. My COMLEX is 629 and USMLE STEP 1 is 232. Any ideas whether I meet the average competitive Ophthalmology scores? I don't have any pubs.

Below average even if you had an md behind your name. (Highly unlikely in my humble opinion to match)

Status
Not open for further replies.